1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many people have offered to shovel your driveway today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anybody else have middle aged men come by offering to shovel snow off the driveway? When I was a kid, me and my friends would go around the neighborhood offering to do it. But out here, in this poor, horrible town in which I now live, that doesn't happen. We've had four different middle-aged men come by offering to shovel our driveway (we at the Shackleford house prefer to let the sun do it for free). Anyway, it creeps my wife out that these random men are knocking on our door carrying large shovels, and it just annoys me that the same guys I drive past every day hanging out on their porch drinking from paper bags at all hours are suddenly inspired to make a buck that's not off the state.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

None. It's 70 degrees and sunny here, suckers!

3. Wow.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some college kid asked last time. I was like I'm 23.... I'll do it myself thanks.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Or, perhaps, they could use the money because they have no job? I have a hard time believing someone would shovel snow to feed an addiction, but... wait, why the hell aren't you shoveling your own snow? Every place I've lived has laws which mandate you do it. Here you've got 24 hours after the snow stops falling to clear your sidewalk.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Not in this high-class neighborhood.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here we have to hire drug-addicted welfare recipients to shovel our walks and driveways, but we can pay them in crack, meth or speed.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

76 and sun here. Family is getting pounded with snow back home. Love it.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Mock them for not working.
    Mock them for trying to work.
    That's a win-win.

10. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Driveway? I'm waiting for somebody to come by and remove what's left of my tree after the ice bomb went off.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have some teens shovel my driveway. I have a bad back that feels worse if I shovel.

It might be a sign of the economy that older men are asking to shovel. They need something to feed themselves.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We get young and old offering here, and there's a small army out there right now. But I was out early this morning to shovel so my doorbell wouldn't go off all day.

Draft saved Draft deleted