1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many Olympic sports can you name?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

and pentathlon and triathlon were on the list, but all other track and field is grouped under "athletics". go fig.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah. It's like diving with all the somersaults, only, you know.....on a trampoline ;D

Oh, and the Modern Pentathlon is the one with Horse riding, shooting, fencing, swimming and running.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Before the '84 Games, my boss assigned me to do previews on every sport. He said there are 21 sports. Starting seven weeks before the Games, do three a week and we'll be done by the Opening Ceremony.
    I rolled my eyes, said OK, then tackled it.
    It was interesting to discover that he considered Water Sports to be one sport. So the preview that day included: men's swimming, women's swimming, men's water polo, women's water polo, men's diving, women's diving, synchonized.
    Athletics, one sport, including all the track and field events and marathons.
    My boss was an idiot, my brain was fried.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got 30. Missed trampoline and taekwondo.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Same as Inky. I knew there was a pentathlon but figured it would be under track (and would have never called it "modern pentathlon - what's out-of-style pentathlon?). Got Judo and couldn't think of taekwondo.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I missed fencing, trampoline and hockey -- and I only missed trampoline and (field) hockey because they were listed out of order. And I just blanked on fencing.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Sporcle can be quite a time-waster. Great site :).

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

No, it gave it to me when I typed in ping pong.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I got 22, and also missed a couple that I thought would be included in "athletics," but I never would have gotten trampoline.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Trampoline was the biggest surprise for me too.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Whoo! Got 'em all. Had 27 of 32 by the time four minutes was over. Quickly got on a boat kick and got Rowing, Sailing and Kayaking. Somehow, I thought of Equestrian with about two minutes left, and then got trampoline with :32 left when I was thinking about "Old School." Go figure.

Awesome game.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thirteen of 32 because I'm a true fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted