1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many of you have ever "accidently overdosed"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 29, 2006.

1. On Grey Goose? Or Crown Royal?

When I was in college, I occasionally "accidently overdosed" on Colt 45. But I never needed paramedics. I just slept it off.

And does anyone remember when Richard Pryor "accidently overdosed" free-basing crack?

Let's see. TO's hand was in so much pain that he "accidently overdosed" trying to fight the pain, but approximately 18 hours later his painful hand was healthy enough to catch passes from Drew Bledsoe.

I'm embarrassed that I wrote I was "inclined" to believe his sideshow press conference.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've never accidentally overdosed or just plain dosed a mild-altering substance in my life, Jason. And I don't believe anyone else has, either.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think people certainly mix drugs/alcohol/prescriptions not intending to put themselves into a coma sometimes.

I nearly did that at 16 with a bottle of MD 20-20. Didn't really think something that tasted that bad could be that bad for me.

But the accidental overdose/allergic reaction crutch is usually just a lie.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My sister ate half a bottle of Flintstones chewables once.

She was four though.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I drank a fifth of spiced rum one night, pretty much right out of the bottle. But it was because the hot girl I was dating at the time was sitting on my lap the whole time imploring me to drink more that I did it. Man, that was a hangover the next day.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I had some surgery years ago and was in quite a lot of pain. The painkillers they prescribed did not take away the pain, so I kept increasing the dosage and by the time I returned to the doctor the next day I had used an entire prescription that was meant to last several days. I was never pain-free that night, but I did have some severe nausea and some very strange thoughts ... and probably other side-effects that I no longer recall. So, yes, I can see how it could happen. By the way, the doc gave me stronger stuff the next day.

7. paris trout

paris trout Member

I was accidentally overdosing in the garage one time and the paramedics showed up, yanked a few pills out of my mouth, grabbed the knife out of my hand and turned the ignition off.

8. sartrean

sartrean Member

I agree.

Once my dog wacked me in the eye while we were horsing around. He scratched my cornea, but I didn't know it was that serious. It just hurt like a bitch.

I went to work could barely see, it was a deadline day at the weekly I worked at. The next day, the pain had not gone away, so I went to the quickie medical office. The doctor fixed it up, but said the pain would probably be with me for a few more days. He prescribed Vicodin, which is not that powerful of a pain killer. He gave me 10 of them.

The Vicodin puts you in such a state that you feel invincible, but doesn't really take the pain away. It just puts your thoughts on other things. So I kept taking them, and I had a couple of beers as I usually do after I get the paper out.

Nothing bad happened, but the next day my ME was banging on my door wondering where the hell I was. He said he'd been calling me all day long. It was 4 oclock in the afternoon and I had slept for like 16 hours.

I see how it could happen especially if somebody's taking oxycontin.

When I saw the crawl that T.O. tried to commit suicide, I figured it was an exageration either on the part of the press or the cops or both. If I had T.O.'s money, suicide would not be an option ever. I may not be at the top of my game, but with his assets, I could at least choose my own misery (paraphrased from a rodney dangerfield movie). It just doesn't stand to reason that the guy would kill himself, but I don't know. I guess it's possible.

But facts. Facts are what are essential in reporting and so often the news media runs with speculation as facts. And cops are bunch of re-tards. I don't ever believe them.

9. paris trout

paris trout Member

Here we go again: To assume that money somehow assures mental health is comically ignorant. The size of Owens' contract has no relevance to the discussion.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I don't think it's that bizarre. There were times in college where someone would get completely blitzed and everyone would start being scared about whether they might need medical attention or not. In the end, you monitored the guy and prayed that he was OK.

Kim Etheredge panicked and I don't blame her. We had some pill poppers in my fraternity and those guys scared the piss out of me.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think you've overdosed on your own ego, Big Boy, but it wasn't accidental.

12. ah, things are back to normal around here. thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted