1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many of you have a beard?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've had one on (mostly) and off (rarely) since, uh, 1980 or so.

I used to shave it completely off in the summer, but now I just trim it back very tight now and then. (The Wahl beard trimmer is one of the great inventions.)

It was a lot of trouble when I was younger, sometimes more trouble than shaving, until I learned how to take proper care of it ... or, more correctly, the skin underneath.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Grew a beard in 1979 to look older. Shaved it off in 1993 for 6 months. Grew it back. Now it's a goatee, and white, like my hair. Looking older no longer a problem.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I grow one every year starting around Thanksgiving. Then I shave it off around April 1.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For those with gray, which went gray first, the head or the beard? My head doesn't have a speck of gray on it, but if I grew my beard out, given how it looks after a few days of growth, it would be in danger of being as white as the one on the Most Interesting Man in the World.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I don't work for a week, I won't shave. I can almost get a decent one going, but my work wants us to be clean shaven or be full on beard. No in between scruff.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nope. Company policy.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've had one for the better part of three years now. I think I'll shave it in mid-March so I can grow a true playoff beard once the NHL playoffs begin. As Puddy once said, "you've gotta support the team."

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Because of my skin, I typically have to go a week between shaves. I can't shave more often than about twice a week, in part because it doesn't grow that fast and because my skin can't handle it. So what ends up happening is I start putting it off even after a week, then get used to not shaving. So usually after about a month and a half later, I finally have to take the electric shaver and a straight razor. Right now, I look like I've been in the wilderness for a while.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Sideburns and side of beard went first.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Chin went white first, followed by the 'stache. Now my beard is salt and pepper throughout and migrating up to my temples.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My beard is still red. My hair started going gray when I was in my early 20s. Probably something to do with the stress level of this profession. I have all of my hair though. No receding hairline even. No thinning. Lots of gray in my family. Not much bald.

Draft saved Draft deleted