1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many of you are actively looking for a new job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Unexpected opportunities that arise aside, I was wondering, what with all the bitching we all do, myself included, how many of you are checking journalismjobs.com (or wherever) regularly and out of more than just curiosity.

I know I do.

And yes, this thread was inspired by the how long do you stay at your first job thread.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You should always be looking, if only to be aware of market conditions.

3. I bet a lot more will be under the "actively looking category" once the Green Bay paper starts advertising it's open Packers beat.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm always looking for a better situation. It's the nature of the business. You're constantly looking to move up. I'm not unhappy where I am, but I'd be lying if I told you that my dream was to retire here. This isn't where I want to get my gold watch*. So I check J-Jobs, the state and neighboring state's press association sites, APSE, the chain's site and of course the jobs board. Not a good time to be looking for a job, but at least I can do so from a reasonably comfortable spot, a far cry from two colleagues who got turfed from their respective papers for reasons I probably won't ever completely get. Another reason to get yours when the getting's good, because unless you're good enough with Photoshop to get a publisher and a random assortment of farm animals in the same (money) shot, there's no such thing as a sure thing.

* -- like I'm going to live long enough to get a gold watch. and even if I do, chances are the only watches a newspaper would give out would be ones they get from the gum machine.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Agreed. Right now, I'm looking for a specific job at specific papers. As time goes on, the list of papers will continue to grow.
    BTW, you're paper has a gum machine? Lucky dog.

6. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I'm not looking. I actually love my job.

But in a few years the kids will be on their way to college. If the price and situationa are right, I wouldn't be against moving then. Like most departments, we have a few people on staff who are constantly looking for another gig.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it's either actively look for another job or actively look for the services of a hit man to take care of that little publisher problem.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

I've been looking for at least six months.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Save for the first few months at a new job, I'm pretty much always looking. Been looking more intensely in the last few months, but, damn, it's not easy. That said, I do have a good job, so there's not a lot of pressure.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread: Why, you got something for me? :)

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I am and people are usually shocked to hear that. People don't understand that your dream job at age 12 - covering Home State U - doesn't necessarily equate to dream job at age 29.

So, yes, I enjoy covering Home State U. Just pretty sure that I don't really long for it to be my legacy on this earth.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted