1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many of us are strum-along wannabees? (aka guitar players)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Dec 17, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Best of luck and stick with it. Get discouraged, PM me and I'll try to get you back on track.

About the best thing I've done in the last 10 years is decide to do it and stick with it.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Been playing for about 10 years. Self-taught, can't read music, but tabs. Got a Fender acoustic that I love just sitting around, relaxing and playing to some of my favorite songs.

Glad I've picked it up and stuck with it. That said, I'd love to try and get better, but time is a factor.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I own a guitar. I own a tuner thingie. I would not say I play, however.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had banjo back in college.
    Unfortunately, at the end of one spring semester, I needed to get home but was flat broke.
    I sold my Peavy Bandit amp, my banjo and pair of brand new Creepers for &75, two packs of cigarettes and a lighter.
    I think I would like to get another banjo.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I hope Santa gets mine tuned before leaving it under my tree on Christmas. Then again, it's not like on that first day (or ever for that matter) I'll play like Joe Satriani.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to know how to play Green Day's "Brain Stew" on the guitar, but that was a while ago. I am, however, a pretty proficient steering-wheel drummer.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just get yourself an electric tuner.
    Eventually, you'll learn to tune it on your own, but an electric tuner is great when you're getting started.
    I've been playing for some time, and I still use an electric tuner.
    I can hear and feel when the guitar is in tune with itself, but I can't objectively tell that the E string is actually an E.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, I recommend taking lessons.
    I'm self-taught, and as a result have terrible habits. As you get better and want to do more things, those bad habits make it tougher on you.
    Also, play with other people. That's how you get better.

9. KG

KG Active Member

How does an electric tuner do the tuning?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You plug the guitar into the tuner (or play into the little built-in mic).
    The tuner will have a needle, lights or a LCD screen.
    When you pluck a string, the needle, lights or LCD display will tell you what the tone is.
    For instance, I have opne with an LCD display. When I pluck the first string, the tuner will tell me that the string is flat. It could have dropped down to an E flat or even a D sharp. It will also tell you where it is in relation to that tone - sharp or flat.
    It's real simple to use.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Does listening to Steve Hackett count?

Draft saved Draft deleted