1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many of us are strum-along wannabees? (aka guitar players)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Dec 17, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the RIP Dan Fogelberg thread I posted a link to a lot of his songs with chords/tabs for guitar and it made me curious. How many of out there are guitar hobbyists?

I took my first lessons a little over eight years ago having just turned 39. And I stuck with it. One of the best things I've ever gotten around to doing.

Who else out there is among the guitar-playing brethren?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Been playing for roughly 12 years.

Still absolutely terrible, but it's something I enjoy.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I picked up my dad's acoustic when I was 16 and taught myself on the Internet through now-defunct or -ruined sites like taborama.com, mxtabs.net. I developed a lot of bad habits and have no rhythm whatsoever. I picked up a cheap Stratocaster rip-off, an amp and a distortion pedal to fill in as a rhythm guitarist for a few punk bands before heading off to college.

I didn't play again until I graduated, became unemployed and needed to relieve some stress and kill time.

I never play in front of anyone and just keep my chunky, off-beat strumming to myself. For now, I like it that way.

4. old_tony

I played in a band a few years ago and it was fun but also draining at times.. For the last two years it's been strictly on my couch or on a bench in a park away from everybody else. But it's so damn soothing.

jlee and noonelikesus, keep on playing no matter how badly you might think you're playing. I can't think of a better thing anyone could do with some of their free alone time.

And I note their is an ad for online video guitar lessons right below as I fill in this reply.

5. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Does Guitar Hero III on Xbox count? What, it doesn't? Damn

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Been playing for about 6 and a half years now. I love it. When I need to clear my mind, I pick up my acoustic and just play. It doesn't matter what -- it could be just 3 or 4 chords or finger picking "Blackbird" by the Beatles -- it has a powerful effect all the same.

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

No guitar, but a banjer.

Not very good, yet, but I hope to get there. Might take a while, especially with my arthritic fingers. But, I'm told that activity of this type is therapeutic for arthritis. Anybody know if this is true?

8. old_tony

As long at it's not too painful I don't think it can be bad. so by elimination it has to either be neutral or good. You got a 50-50 shot.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

does air guitar count?

10. old_tony

I would suspect air guitar is an indication you wish you knew how to play.

Go for it and take lessons. Like I said, I took my first lesson at age 39 a little over 8 years ago. You're never too old.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Santa is bringing me my first acoustic this year.

Edit: Wish me and everyone within hearing range luck while I learn to play.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've played for 20 years.
    I used to be a passable player when I was younger. I was really consumed with it for the first 10 years.
    For most of the past 10 years, I play only occassionally. Sometimes, I'll hit a run where I play a lot and some of my proficiency comes back, but for the most part I play maybe once or twice a month.

Draft saved Draft deleted