1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many melees have you witnessed in Prep sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sartrean, Oct 15, 2006.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Back in 1996, a fan who was helping with the chain gang punched the head coach of his son's team in the mouth after they got into a shouting match about why he wasn't calling sweeps.

Those crazy Fort Meade fans.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Was calling a girls basketball game in Montgomery (Lee-Lanier) in 98 (I think), when a shoving match on the court spilled into the stands. We ejected a few players from both teams, and asked the police to clear the gym before we finished the game. No fans were allowed in for the boys game.

I was calling a Christmas tournament in Alex City or Dadeville (can't remember which, but both were involved in the tourney) the same year when a fight broke out at McDonald's after the game.

Only a few people were inside and the young manager kept his cool, calmly walked over and locked the doors and called the police.

Also played in a game against our rivals in 95 when an opposing player hit one of our guys in the face with the ball. Benches cleared and stands semi-emptied (only the real rednecks came down). A few punches were thrown here and there, but nothing serious.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Recently, a game in our area was televised on ESPN U.

It was a rival game, snobby prep school vs. getto prep.

Fight breaks out on national television and spills into the stands.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sartrean, i'm missing something.

what did they blame you and the paper for in the letters? and what was the charge in the lawsuit?

as i understand it, you took pictures of a brawl so although i know people are quick to blame the media for covering the bad stuff i can't even put my finger on why someone might hold you and the paper responsible for anything that happened.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because he had the temerity to report the bad news and make the kids look dumb for fighting and the parents even dumber. Goes along the line of "why don't you put good things in the paper?"

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Two that I've been at -- the first as a fan; the second as a reporter.
    1. Was at a buddy's high school hockey game. Kid from opposing team had been taking a few cheap shots. Couple players from my buddy's team decide to do something about it, and take their turns doing various things to him. Fight breaks out between about 30 players, and refs are busy trying to hold cheap shotter back because, well, he could have kicked the shit out of anyone on the ice. His dad comes onto the ice and begins kicking shit out of one of refs. He was arrested later that night.
    2. Covering a high school football tournament. Sometime during the last game, a few people in the crowd get into it when one of them pulls out a piece and starts squeezing off rounds into the air.
    Fun times.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Prep baseball game in county tournament.

Baserunner plows over catcher at the plate and is called out (and tossed). Runner gets up and trots to the dugout. Catcher gets up and with the glove and ball runs toward the other kid. I'm thinking he thought he didn't tag him but as he gets closer, drops the ball and glove, tackles the other kid, and starts beating on him _ and all of the kids from the opposing team pile out and start beating on the catcher. Other team comes from their dugout and joins the fray. Umps finally got it broken up.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Metro Toronto Ball Hockey League, summer '82. We were in Tier 4 of a five-tier league. (You want to know how competitive it was: Rick Vaive, Leaf captain, 50-goal scorer, was in Tier 2.) Anyway, I'd been thrown out of the game for fighting and was stripped down to my jock when I heard a rumble from outside. Turns out the ref said to a rotund defenceman on our team, "Get in the box, fatty." The portly good-natured soul spat in the ref's mouth and then knocked him out with one punch. He turned and started to take on anyone in sight. Both benches cleared. I came onto the floor--thankfully I'd put sweat pants on--and jumped a guy from behind, had to give away 40 pounds minimum. He was about to sucker my best friend who was being held by another guy. There were fights all over the floor, fights with spectators, fights that spilled out into the dressing room. A few of us received one-game suspensions (the saliva-tosser 3 games) and we had to pay $500 in fines. The cops who came to the scene were laughing to hard to book us.

YHS, etc

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

For those of you who do (or have) covered prep basketball in NJ sometime during the last 15 or so years, you might remember the antics of Clarence Turner and his menagerie from Camden H.S.

On at least three occasions in the 1990s, big riots broke out following Camden state tournament losses. A couple of those even made national headlines.

This past March, in a sectional final loss, a Camden player suckerpunched one of the opposing players in the postgame handshake line, giving him a broken nose and forcing him to get stiches.

Yet the coach still has his job.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

It's Camden. What do you expect? If they ever decided to make a sequel/spinoff of "The Wire," they'd choose that cesspool.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I got one from 1988 in my hometown in Waterloo, Iowa. My future high school (East) and the crosstown rivals (West) playing the 2nd of their annual home-and-home tilt at the high school. As usual, it was a standing room crowd only (simply because of their pure hatred [snobby westsiders vs. blue-collar eastsiders, preppy whites vs. blacks and white trash]).

At the halftime buzzer, after a heated and competitive first half, both teams start heading into the locker rooms. Only problem was that they were going the same way. Two players from West bumped and shouted at two of the East players. Haymakers are thrown and it was on. Both benches cleared, and then the students (who hasn't seen a fight they didn't participate in) swarmed the floor in a blink of an eye. The melee was so huge (with 4000+) and dangerous (a good number of the babies' mommas were carrying their kids into the fight to take a swing at someone) the 2nd half wasn't played and East had to concede the game to West.

Of course that was the first melee or brouhaha that went down between East and West. Urban legend in town has it that several East fans before my time were in the stands during football season, wearing trenchcoats to conceal the shotguns they were carrying in case a fight broke out at the stadium. The kids today have nothing on what our parents did thirty years ago.

12. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Not as a reporter, but when I was in high school, my school had a soccer game at home on a Thursday afternoon. Our football team had under-the-lights walkthru practice on Thursday evenings, so they would gather in the stands near the end of the soccer games, waiting to get on the field.

A guy from our soccer team and Rival High were elbowing and shoving each other the whole game and near the end, it started to boil over. When the final horn sounded, the two of them went toe to toe with each other and the fireworks started. A bunch of people rushed in to separate them. In the chaos, one of our guys dropped one Rival High's guys with one punch ... it happened about five feet away from our coach, who had his back turned and never saw it. It's caught on tape -- looks hilarious.

Guys from Rival High saw their guy hit the deck and started to come after our guy who threw the punch. But just as they did, they noticed about half of our football team rushing onto the field. Because if there's anything football players love, it's beating the crap out of soccer players -- especially soccer players from another school. One second, the Rival High soccer team is coming after one of our guys. The next second, they're running like hell the other way to get away from our football team.

Draft saved Draft deleted