1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many innings for a win?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've always gone with four innings (for seven inning games), unless it was pre-determined that the pitcher was only going to pitch three innings, then the starting pitcher would get credit for the win if he left and his team was ahead.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I e-mailed the SID, and this is what he's taking his stance with. He said there was a pre-arranged agreement with multiple pitchers being used, and that the starter left with a 4-0 lead after three innings.

3. Bearkat21

Bearkat21 New Member

That is right. Anytime we are playing a midweek game against a school where there is that chance to throw a lot of guys like against TSU or PVU I'll ask coach ahead of time if he plans to pitch a bunch of guys and if so it will help us determine who gets the win. The four inning or five inning rule is not automatic.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the starter is the pitcher of record and fails to go the required innings, and the team keeps the lead, it becomes the official scorer's discretion anyway.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This is easy: The starting pitcher must pitch at least half of the innings of the game.

In the majors, it's 4 1/2 innings. In college and high school, it's 3 1/2 innings.

The discretion rule only applies when the starting pitcher is not up for the win (if he leaves before 4 1/2 innings).

I apply the same rule to the save rule. Thus, in a seven-inning game, I give a save if the final pitcher throws two innings and meets all other criteria.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I hate hypotheticals, but being a baseball stats neophyte, I'm kind of interested in this one. Say a home team has a pitcher who shuts down the side in the first inning, then his team pounds 30 runs or some insane thing in the bottom.

They have another important game and want to go back to that ace, so they pull him out and go by committee or whatever. He left the game with a 30-run lead, isn't that enough?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Not according to MLB rules.

Only in Spring Training to pitchers get a win without having to go 5 innings.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, sometimes there's a glitch in the system, and the starter only needs to go three innings for the win. But my staff is filled with old-school mindsets, and we go the distance 140 games a year. So it usually doesn't matter.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Here's what the HS federation stats manual says:

The starting pitcher must pitch at least four innings to get credit for the win .... If the game ends, for whatever reason, having gone fewer than seven innings, then the starting pitcher must have pitched three or more consecutive innings to be declared the winning pitcher. ... If the starting pitcher cannot be delared the winning pitcher, and more than one relief pitcher plays, the win in credited to the relief pitcher in the following manner:

a) the winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of record when the team goes ahead and remains ahead throughout the remainder of the game. No pitcher may receive credit for a victory if the opposing team ties the score or goes ahead after the pitcher has left he game. Exception: If a relief pitcher conforms to the above regulation, but pitches beirfly and ineffectively, the scorer whould not credit the relief pitcher with the win. If a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively and helps maintain the lead, the scorer may award the win to that succeeding pitcher.

b) by pre-arrangement, if three or more pitchers are to be used, the pitcher of record shall be considered the winning pitcher.

Draft saved Draft deleted