1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many hours of sports do you watch...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How many hours of sports, on average, do you watch a week?

PS: How do you create a poll?
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting question ...

Focused watching? Not a ton. It's usually on in the background and it's rare that I get to sit and watch 2 1/2-3 hours at a time, uninterrupted, other than NFL Sundays. I have young kids. Baseball has a nice pace for this kind of viewing, actually, because of the way things build in an inning. Same with football, for the most part. I typically keep one eye on NBA playoff games and start focusing in or pause the DVR if things are tight in the fourth quarter.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If it's not EPL/BPL season, 0.
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For work: 5-6.

Not for work: None.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

College football - All day Saturday unless I'm going in person. Most Thursday and Friday games. Midweek not usually.

College basketball - Probably 10-12 hours a week.

Outside that, maybe 5 hours a week max, less this time of year. Only pay close attention to Titans and Preds.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A shit load.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I watch a shit ton of hockey ... again, because I don't cover it, and it actually feels like an escape to me.

NFL -- I watch a ton. But that's only to give me something to do while swilling beer.

I'll echo what Dick said. I kept up with the Orioles score and watched some stuff on the DVR. Once it got to the ninth, I flipped it on. Same with the fourth quarter of the ECF game last night. I cover a ton of baseball, so I really don't get too into watching the bigs as a leisure activity.

Sunday golf is great for a hangover. Will watch a ton of the majors and the last couple of hours of most final rounds.
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Watch a lot of baseball and NFL, plus rugby.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not much outside of football season. During the fall, Saturday is football day ... usually starting with watching my son's junior high team "live" (you have a great view when you're part of the chain gang).

Even though I don't have cable, there's always some college game on Saturday afternoons, and I'll usually watch it in fits and starts. On those rare occasions we get a Big 10 game out here on ABC, I'll try to sit down and watch the majority of it.

If the weather's lousy on Sunday, I may catch part of the Seahawks game, or maybe the Sunday night NBC game.

Other than that ... if I have access to a TV, I try to catch the final round of golf's major tournaments. Especially the Masters, with very few commercials.

I used to always watch baseball playoffs and the World Series, but now that many of those games are on cable (and/or I'm working), I mostly follow baseball online.

If I had to estimate a number of hours per week, I'd say I average 3-4 hours per week. More in the fall, much less in the spring/summer.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

After a few years with an ex who hated sports, I'm back to them watching a lot. Since March Madness began and was followed quickly by baseball season and the NBA and NHL playoffs, I've been averaging probably 14 hours a week. Two at night when I get home from work and then a game on the weekend. During football season, I watched a lot less during the week, but Sundays were 10 hours of NFL action.

As Dick noted, though, it's not always active watching. A lot of times, I'm taking care of chores, paying bills or even just screwing around on SJ or Facebook or something, and when something happens, or as the game winds down, I focus on it more.
  11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Braves game nearly every day. Other than that, I might watch a playoff NBA or NHL game, but none in the regular season except on Christmas. When fall rolls around, it's football on Saturday. My wife hates it and goes shopping. Which is...awesome! But I start with the 11:21 JP game (you Southerners know what I mean) and go until the Pac-12 or Hawaii finishes. The only change is when I go to my alma mater for a game or two during the year. Then I'm probably watching games at the tailgate, too.
  12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Football season? A lot...

I watch quite a bit of college basketball as well.

In the time period between the end of the NCAA Tournament and the beginning of the NFL preseason, I would say it is very rare that I will sit down with my prime focus being on watching a game. There are a few exceptions like the final day of a major or the NFL or NBA draft, but even with the NBA playoffs, even if it's on, it's in the background.
Draft saved Draft deleted