1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many different places have you gone to cover high school football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I started wondering how many different places I've gone to cover high school football. I made a list, trying to remember them all and came up with 65.
    That number has held steady for the last few years because I've been at the same company for a while and cover the same schools, which usually play the same schools.
    That includes three different states. The longest car-only trip was about 2 1/2 hours to Newport, N.H. and the longest trip overall was Nantucket, 90 minutes to Hyannis, another hour on the fast ferry.
    I don't include college sites used for playoff or championship games in the list, nor do I include places where I've covered youth, college or semipro ball. Football fields where I've covered soccer, lacrosse, track or field hockey. but not football, don't count either.
    Venues where two (or more) teams play only count as one place, even if I've seen more than one home team in that venue.
    Does anybody here have a similar list? Has anybody had to fly to cover a high school game or take a boat ride? How many different states and what's the longest trip you've taken?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have flown to cover a game in Northern Idaho. The longest drive I have done for a game was 4.5 hours for a state championship game last season.
    As far as how many venues I've seen games in, I will have to do some deep thinking to remember that.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am at 28 different venues and I expect to add 2 to 5 more this season, depending on how the playoffs shake out.
    I have only covered games in two states.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have been doing this for 20 years in three states...maybe 60-70.... I'd have to think about it...

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I can verify something in the mid-80 range since 1989, but there's about a dozen or so other places that I can't remember for sure. I know I went there for football, but was it preseason tab stuff, a scrimmage or an actual game?

My longest trip was when I worked in Amarillo. One of the schools in the Oklahoma Panhandle that we covered reached the state finals two years in a row, playing at Stillwater both times. I think the beancounters up there are still trying to figure out why I had so many receipts from Eskimo Joe's for just a two-day, one-night trip.

My longest trip within the same state was probably when I was in New Mexico -- Carlsbad to Raton or Carlsbad to Socorro via Albuquerque -- but there have been several here in Texas that have been a minimum five hours one way. That's what I get for living in those areas of the state where 100 miles means you're just getting started.

Oddly enough, it doesn't look like I will add any new venues this season unless somebody around here makes a deep playoff run and winds up playing somewhere east of Abilene.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that would mean a trip to joe alan's, yes?

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I can go there pretty much any time I visit the folks. Mom lives about three miles from there.

Of course, I'm not against ingesting a hunk of beef before waddling off to the pressbox at Shotwell.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've been lucky enough to stop there three times. i would give plenty for a fourth visit, although i guess that does mean i'd have to actually enter texas again. ;)

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The shortest route would be to come down from Oklahoma through Wichita Falls. But that would mean you would have to go through Oklahoma AND Texas.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i took the heartbreakers to the tulsa zoo, once while in another state on vacation. thought oklahoma was a nice enough state, then i got out of the car and actually started talking to people.

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

As a pro? Two - Silverdome and Ford Field. The only HSFB I cover is the state finals.

12. You flew to cover a high school football game!? The company paid for it!?
    Who did the pregame coin toss? Super Dave Osborne?
    I'd love to hear some background on that (the game. I'm not really that into Super Dave).

Angola, you and Handsome Harley fascinate me...

I've been to over 50 locations for high school games. Longest drive was four hours for a playoff game in Wheeling.
    Made several three hours drives to places like Matewan, Williamson and Mt. View, for regular season games.

Draft saved Draft deleted