1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many "courts" are there in college basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rumor has it Texas Tech will soon call it Knight Court.

Sorry.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Didn't New Mexico rename their court for old Lou?

3. KoM

KoM Member

naming courts is no different than many football venues with the stadium named one thing and the field named another, and in some cases the press box is named.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think that's New Mexico State, Lou Henson Court at the Pan American Center, brought to you by La Posta in Old Mesilla.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

yeah, nmsu is lou henson court, unm is bob king court

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Lou Do got NMSU to the Final Four. The fact Las Cruces isn't "Henson City, N.M." after that is amazing. :D

7. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I could be wrong, but I believe UNLV has Jerry Tarkanian court at the Thomas & Mack Center.

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Now that one I find surprising. Yeah he had unprecedented success, but the myriad shady dealings that went on during his tenure set the program back into the Dark Ages for over a decade.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a fine honor for someone who has done much more than just scratch a check to get their name on an arena, but I've got to think the alums also appreciate that their current coaches receive a constant reminder of those who came before them and the standards they set. As in, you may have gotten us to the tourney this year, but we expect Final Fours.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would have thought that UNLV would have gone out of its way to distance itself from Jerry Tarkanian. Then I remember who the AD is and am not at all surprised.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

McCracken Court was named long before this recent spate of naming courts for everyone under the sun. IIRC, the floor at Assembly Hall became McCracken Court when the building opened in 1971 (and it stayed McCracken Court when the old portable floor -- which was also used in St. Louis for the 1978 Final Four, among other things -- was replaced with a permanent one a decade and change ago).

Fenian can take some note in Al McGuire Court at Marquette ... it's only that for MU games, but now that every team that plays in a building has to have a different court with its own markings on it, Marquette's court can be Al McGuire Court ... it's a different (and significantly more gaudy ... just like its namesake :) ) floor than the one the Bucks use.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was at the game the night they dedicated the court to Tark, the new AD at UNLV, Mike Hamrick, who is a giant douchebag, went out of his way for every photo op.
    There are a lot of people in Vegas that still love Tark. When i met him he was really nice

Draft saved Draft deleted