1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many clips should u send w/ resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Dec 26, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just applied for an editing job. I sent three stories I edited, both with printouts of the writer's filed copy and a printout from the Web of the story after I worked it up. Also included a longer story I wrote, to show I still have that skill as well.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want to sound "street", live on the street.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Again, that's the problem, Stitch. You're hostile at just the idea for no real reason. I'm not talking about publishing copy chocked full of slang with vague rap references. And your implication that sounding "street" means being homeless only lends credence to what I'm saying. Most journalism isn't in tune with the more urban audience. Most editors and writers look down on it, as if that portion of the reading populace isn't worth conversing with, or informing. It's bullshit.

Not saying all journalism needs to be informal, but most formal journalism sucks, so why not have fun?

Besides, I'm really just noticing that a guy using "Word" to close his post drew the ire of a lot of OGs on this forum. Struck a chord with me, because I'm convinced that a lot of minority writers are overlooked because of this same disconnect with folks in place to make hiring decisions.

Nah'm sayin'?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe the OP was faking street talk.

5. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Oh, okay. Have fun with the sarcasm, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted