1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many clips should u send w/ resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Dec 26, 2011.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

I was wondering how many clips one should send when sending out a resume and assorted clips. Should they be varied among the sports you've covered. Editorials, as well? Gamers? Features? Some of all. Feedback is welcomed. Word.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stop with the "word" and all that, OK? Just trust me. And it is "you" and not "u." Thanks. Yes, I'm old. Again, trust me. I'm trying to help you, not trying to sound like a douchebag (though it does come off that way, I know).

Five or so is good and it depends on the job. For most reporting jobs, a bit of variety is excellent. Some that show your range - and some that show how well you can handle tight deadlines. I'd send one "package" from an event -- the blogs you did, the story for the web, the story for print (if they were different) and your "tweets." Many places require all that on the job, so show me you can do it.

Unless the job is a columnist spot or includes columns, don't include those. Show stuff that is germane to the job.

Good luck.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oops ....

:)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 8 story ideas.

5. doodah

doodah Guest

Story ideas? And sorry about the word. I was trying to sound street

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Baron is doing what we call "crossthreading" - there's a thread on here about story ideas and interviews.

No need to be sorry at all. I don't suspect you are "street," so don't try to sound street.

My son said, "Sup yo!" to me the other day and I had no idea what he meant. Being old is interesting sometimes.

7. doodah

doodah Guest

With my clips, there were some mistakes the editors made in terms of editing it, so I corrected them and put it on a word document. Is that acceptable for clips. And do I need to put the headlines with the articles? (I didn't write the headlines)

8. doodah

doodah Guest

Should I use a clip index and how set in stone is the five article limit you were suggesting? Is it bad if I submit six or seven since a lot of them are freelance work I did for the local paper (gamers) (I'm a senior in college)?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think doodah is legitimate, especially after Starting17's post in another thread that happened to use n instead of and.

If this is real, you can't change a thing in a clip. How did the editor screw up?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Word

(document).

11. doodah

doodah Guest

well, I worked for a minor league baseball team this past summer. He wasn't too familiar with some AP Style and edited some of my work from correct to incorrect in AP style.

Also, the local paper I write for has sometimes changed the sentence structure and forgot a word I orginally had in there, like instead of he chucked it down field, the editor would change it to "he chucked the down field" and forget to put the word ball in.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

So.... headlines or no?

Draft saved Draft deleted