1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many bosses do you have?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That is, people who have authority to tell you what to do, give/change assignments, change your work schedule, write you up, etc. I have 10. And that's just in our building.

And no, it is not in a vertical chain -- a lot of these people neither answer, or even talk, to each other. And no, they are not on the same page -- not very often, anyway.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I have three.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good question, because there are a few instances in which I'm not completely sure if someone could tell me what to do and have the authority to do so. I probably should know that.

I know five people, for sure: SE, ASE, publisher, executive editor, managing editor/news.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Is this you, starman?
    [​IMG]

I have one that change my schedule. Then I have three ASE's that work the slot on various nights and tell me to work on page 2 or story 3 or whatever. I don't consider them bosses, but supervisors.

And, though my SE has bosses above him that could write me up, fire me or rip up my check, I don't really consider them my bosses because I don't interact with them ever.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, actually I have a reasonably significant job in the scheme of things here. Suffice it to say if I decided to walk out the door tomorrow, they'd be well and fucked as far as getting out a sports section, for a couple weeks at least.

I guess in the direct day-to-day scheme of things, I have only four DIRECT bosses, but every day there are new directives from the other guys, which complicate things even more.

And even the figure of 10 doesn't even count the Gods further up the ladder on Mt. Olympus.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have five or six, but I only acknowledge two.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I could go way up in the corporate org chart and have like six, but that would include a CEO that doesn't know I exist. As a practical matter, I guess it's four, and I rarely deal with two of them except to exchange pleasantries.

But, of course, if one of those guys called and said, "Hey, SF, this needs to be done" -- it'd be done.

8. greenie

greenie Member

I have 10 without leaving the sports dept. Then you have managing editor, exec editor, publisher and all the corporate big wigs.

Gotta love corporate America!

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have two direct and two indirect. All hassle me about the TPS reports.

10. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

"I've got eight bosses Bob." This thread was designed to be jacked by Office Space quotes.

11. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

You beat me to it...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One, the editor. But I have 100% authority over my section.

We're a small weekly. He's No. 1 in command of the paper, though he often tells me (the sports editor) the paper wouldn't run without me, so it's give and take, which is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted