1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How low would you go?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, May 12, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

How low would you go, in terms of salary drop and/or position to get out of a really bad job situation? And how would you explain the downward move in future job searches?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have already done paycuts... but peace of mind is always a good reason to explain...

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Depends on how many sets of eyes are looking at you when you get home at night.

If it's just one set, yours, it's a very different equation that if you've got mom and the little ones standing there, like the hungry family in Cinderella Man.

When I was younger and dumber – if that's possible – I took about a $40K pay cut to get out of a bad situation. It took a while to dig out of that one.

Today, I'd probably have to play that one a little differently.

Anyway, if 100 people answer this question, you'll get 100 different answers. I feel for you.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I made the move from a bigger market to a smaller market in pursuit of a better job. I was lucky enough to get a small raise out of it, but that came with no haggling. The boss just offered the raise after I just mentioned that the initial offer was a bit lower than I was making currently.

I was damn close to taking just about anything to get out of that situation though, and willing to take a two thousand dollar paycut to move to a more expensive area for a job I interviewed for. Luckily I only had to wait a few more weeks after I was passed over for that one and landed in a better situation, which served as a good springboard. It does wonders for your sanity, believe me. It was much better that way.

And to follow up a bit on HH, I'm single and without any kids, so my situation really only impacted me.

5. Uh, if I took a $40K paycut I would be paying to work for my current employer.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

I'm 42 (got into the newspaper game late), single w/ no kids and the M.E. of a small daily the last year after 4 years as sports editor. Make decent salary, especially after seeing some of the horror stories on here, but the crap I have to deal with (not job-wise but office politics) is really increasing the need for Xanax and industrial-strength Tums. Have tried to find something in my area to stay close to older parents but the openings just aren't there. Have about a $15,000 savings cushion I could brace the fall with. I guess the biggest concern is explaining the move to potential future employers a year down the road.

7. Me too. I'd be paying A LOT

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will be the first to admit I may have outkicked my coverage at that point.

But I did eventually return to that salary level.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd almost pay to read that in a PM.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Peace of mind goes a long way and I think any employer would understand. A buddy of mine quit his job last summer cause he said he hated the situation THAT much. Actually, almost the entire sports staff quit at the same time.
    He didn't have any problems at all explaining that to his current employer.

11. I took a nearly $10,000 pay cut to leave my first job, entry level at a weekly magazine where I was working for monkeys, and go to a small (30,000) daily. best decision I ever made.

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

I took an $18,000 pay cut when I left Gannett for current job. Best move I could have made, though, professionally and personally. Of course, it helps that my wife has a great job. However, had she not, I still would have made the same decision. Last job was killing me and not at a slow pace, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted