1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long to wait when following up on a resume?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by srnitz86, Jun 22, 2009.

1. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

So, I just graduated and have been applying for open positions. I just wanted to know the right amount of time to wait before following up on a resume. A week? Two weeks? Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

2. DCguy

DCguy Member

I usually send a follow-up e-mail a week later asking if they received it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you send it to HR, pros tell you to check back within 5-7 days but do not do it on a Monday. I guess they are busy in HR on Mondays. If you apply to a sports editor or whatever, I don't think the Monday matters.

If you apply online for an open position, good luck reaching a human being.

4. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Would you guys say it is better to call or just send an email? I emailed my resume, cover letter, etc.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you emailed your stuff, I would email your followup and reserve the calling for if you get no email response.

(I applied for a job recently that drew 400 candidates and they wound up hiring an internal candidate, so I don't think you're can expect a lot of personal attention necessarily).

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd just go to the drive-thru and see if the manager is working ... </bitterbitterhack>

Draft saved Draft deleted