1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bumpkin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's interesting how this works, too.

I do not and will not deal with word counts. If a stringer says, do you want 450 words, I tell them I need 15 inches. Then I ask one of the writers what the word/inch conversion is.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

One trick I learned was to get in there early. Write the story as quickly as possible and sometimes, the tradeoff would be a few extra inches.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's amazing how other writers can be doing it for 20, 25 years, and they never figure that out. ;)

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When I started, none of our computers had word count software, but did do inch counts. Didn't help when I was on the road on a laptop. So I learned to approximate one paragraph per inch. Not exact, but usually pretty close.

5. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

The size of our news pages has changed so many times and the measurements for our word processing program have not been updated accordingly. Further, 15 inches on the new tiny type USA Today is using vs. what our paper uses would produce very different counts. Back in the day, here, 15 inches used to be 500 words. Now, 15 inches may not even be 400 words. I'm an editor (and columnist/beat writer/do it all) and I go with word count. It's a certainly in a variable world.

Draft saved Draft deleted