1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long do you stay on the first job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MadDog2020Terp, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been at mine 8 1/2 years and counting. Like Shotglass said, make sure the grass really is greener at the next stop. Whenever i get the urge to move, I stop and realize that even though I'm at a small paper it's a good shop, I have a great boss and a lot of freedom to write about a lot of different things, and the only logical move up in the same area is a semi-major metro where people rarely leave. There's a lot of intangibles you can't get at a lot of places.
    Bottom line, if you enjoy where you're at, there's nothing wrong with staying a while and covering some JV junior high slow-pitch softball. If you hate living in Mayberry, can't stand being a one-man show, or want to punch your editor in the liver, it's probably time to move on.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Three years. I started applying after one but didn't move on for another two. Luckily, I was in a pretty good spot.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one year and five days.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Wasn't the thread title "How long DO you stay on the first job?" Not "How long DID you stay on the first job?"

I stayed at mine for six months. But every situation is different. Depends on your aspirations, your talent, job offers, etc. If job No. 2 is the one you're going to stay with for a long time, it doesn't matter.

However, if you're bouncing from one place to the next every three or six months, you're going to have potential bosses wondering whether it's worth it to hire you in the first place.

When hiring, my soft rule is one quick stint is acceptable, two in a row is a bit scary and I'll toss the resume if I see three straight.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude - i don't think we'll get a complete psychological makeup on maddog, so let it go.

and, if you're tossing resumes simply because of quick stints, you're missing out on a lot of good people. i'll rather have excellent work for through years than shitty work for a lifetime.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Sorry, it was kind of a joke...

As for the tossing of resumes, I said it's a soft rule, not a hard one. A great writer is a great writer no matter how long they've been at their previous three jobs, but quick stints are definitely a red flag that needs to be explored before hiring such an individual.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gomer - it's on me. now you say it was a joke, it is funny.'

as far as the red flag ... agreed.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I'm on a three-year clip, but I've not always moved. I've moved up.

I wouldn't overlook that.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Witness. Never should have left the last one and I'm paying for it. Sadly, it wasn't my first gig and I should have known better. I thought I was ready for a change and all I've learned is how good I had it at my last place.

10. Every one complains about their job, but when you find yourself complaining and second-guessing your superiors ad nauseum - that is the time to leave.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My first newspaper job was 5 years at a small-town PM paper. Loved it. I knew the people in town, the people two counties over all but adopted me, I was a big fish in a small, sports-hungry area.

I got an opportunity I couldn't pass up, and didn't. There are days (sometimes more often than I'd like) that I wonder if my boss wasn't right when he said money isn't everything and be careful about jumping. But in the long run, it's been a good move for me either way. I've gotten away from my family, struck out on my own, at least a little bit, and learned a lot about the business.

I would say stay until you get the itch to leave, or until you feel it's an opportunity you need to take. Don't look just because someone told you it's time to look. Look if you want to.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would have not lasted one week at any job I've ever had under that criteria.

Draft saved Draft deleted