1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Long Do You Plan On Working?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The demise of 89-year-old Helen Thomas got me thinking.

At what age would you like to retire? Are you the type that wants to retire the moment you think you have enough to survive on comfortable, or will they have to drag you off of the field.

Me? I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford it.

But my dad is 76 and still works 6 days a week. He's a lawyer & still loves what he does. He can afford to retire, but he'd rather work. It keeps him busy & mentally stimulated.

He doesn't play golf or have a lot of hobbies, and while he's taken more vacations in recent years to travel with my mom and to spend time with the grandkids, I don't see him retiring any time soon.

The multi-millionaires that could retire in luxury are the ones who really confuse me when they continue to work, but then I guess they wouldn't have made millions with out that kind of drive.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm with you Yankee fan, I'd retire today if I could afford it. But I wouldn't stop working. I'd string games for my paper and pick and choose when I want to work.

Realistically, I'm 50 and have no idea when I'll retire. It's at least 10 years before my son is out of college, so I don't see retiring before then.

My father-in-law retired at 54 with two government pensions, but there's no way I'll be able to afford not working in four years.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The second I have the money to retire.

So ... Never?

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Anyone under the age of 35 fell on the floor laughing reading this, which then turned into curling up into a ball on the floor crying.

Ah, the future. It's gonna suck.

As for the hypothetical that retirement will be an option for anyone in the future...I think 55 would be the perfect time to hang it up. Still young enough to enjoy retirement, but old enough to not regret getting out of the game too quickly.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hopefully at 60. I'll do it sooner if I can, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if I had to work longer.
    Sixty doesn't get full Social Security pay out, but I'll do it if I can afford to.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm going to fall over dead at this same desk around 85 at the rate I'm going.

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I'm determined to retire at 55, which is in 10 years. Then again, the way this business is working my employer may come and tell me I'm retiring before then, like it or not.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends on if and when I can find another job.

In a perfect world, as soon as I win the lottery.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think many who work in journalism will get that choice. It will be made by someone else. All you need to do is look around a newsroom.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'll shoot for the end of the week. Anything past that is gravy.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am going to leave the office at 6pm today

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't.

I'm just going to walk the earth. Like Kane in Kung Fu.

Walk around, meet people. Get into adventures.

Draft saved Draft deleted