1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long do you keep your notes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

I have trouble throwing anything away. I was cleaning out some boxes in my home office and garage today and threw out some old notebooks, some as old as 10 years. I also currently have 67 interviews between my two digital recorders that I've never deleted.
    How long do you guys keep your notes before you erase/throw them away?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny that you should ask:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72288/

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Since I work on the news side, I usually keep notes for a few days and then out to the recycle bin.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I only keep notes for about a week and then throw them away. If I think it's important, I'll email notes to myself and keep them stored for future reference if need be.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm a pack rat, so I have notebooks/tapes/notes on my computer in Word format from five years ago.

6. bob

bob Member

last year I threw away two large boxes of notebooks that were more than 20 years old, with material from the Celtics glory days...bird, parish, mchale, etc. it killed me but what was I ever going to do with it?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

E-Bay that ish when your career is over. Those are one-of-a-kind collectibles to some nutjob fan out there.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Many major papers require you to destroy your notes.

No notes, no way for a court to interpret your scribbles. And you can't be accused of hiding anything, because everyone at the paper is required to destroy notes, not just you.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't keep notes for long, but if I found some 20-year-old Bird/McHale notebooks, I'd keep them for my grandkids.

They probably wouldn't give a crap, but you never know.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Ding, ding, ding.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I still have notebooks from 7-8 years ago. Hard to let them go.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think I have old notes from when I started in 1993 somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted