1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

... we start hearing story after story of papers calling full-timers they've laid off and asking them, "Hey, how'd you like to string for us on your old beat?" I see this being widespread by football season.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

A friend at a McClatchy paper said no freelancers are allowed to be hired to fill laid-off "beats," according to the current Guild contract. I don't know what happens if it's the same person who got laid off in the first place.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That clause is in there to stop newspapers from asking a laid-off reporter to string to save money.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Apparently, if you issue a W-2 and 1099 tax form in the same year to the same person, it raises red flags at the IRS. I can think of a few papers that won't hire ex-reporters as freelancers because of that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, that's what I've heard, as well. My last paper wasn't allowed to hire back any of its laid-off FTEs as freelancers or part-timers.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Laid off employees cannot string for the paper. Bought-out ones can.

7. Johnny Dangerously

I've worked at papers that violated labor laws without appearing to even know about them. I wonder how many there are like that around the country.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Herald was a Guild shop, so I was informed as to what could and couldn't be done legally. That is one thing unions can do, keep members aware of the law.

9. Johnny Dangerously

At one of my stops, the rumor was if you said the word "union" in the building, you'd be taken away and never heard from again.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just like working at Wal-Mart.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Wal-Mart isn't anti union, they are pro employee [/zombie]

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

So my paper had layoffs last fall, and one of the sports reporters let go has been stringing for us pretty much since then. Are you saying that's against the law?

Draft saved Draft deleted