1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before pitching the same idea elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Jul 29, 2010.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Hey folks,

So I have a decent relationship with the editor at a magazine where I freelance, but I feel like one of the story ideas I pitched is stalling. He liked the idea and wanted to run it by one of his colleagues who's in charge of the section that normally covers the topic I pitched, but it hasn't happened yet.

Now, I'm making contact with a niche magazine that specializes in my proposed story, and I'd like to lay my idea down on the table. I'm sure they'll go for it, especially since I can already get the kind of access needed to write a strong piece.

Basically, I don't want the first magazine to come back to me in two weeks and say, "Hey, we're ready to run this. What can you get?" and I tell them, "Oh, I took it elsewhere."

Is that standard in the industry, or would I be burning a (really nice) bridge?

Thanks in advance.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've been in your situation, also with a decent relationship with the editor.

So I just called and asked what the status was on his decision because I had another possibility and needed to know. Said I wasn't pressuring him to accept, but wondered if they had a decision or idea about when.

If you know the editor well enough then call or email to inquire.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Thanks, SixToe. I'm sure one more follow-up won't come off as me pestering him about the topic. There are rumblings about a re-design, so I know every department is a little too preoccupied to give deep thought to every pitch, but I want to get it done while the story is still timely.

4. This is an issue I’ve faced myself, so I hope we get some additional responses here. Waiting for editors to respond to pitches can be maddening. I recently had a publication express interest in a story I pitched, but then the editor dragged his feet on it and ultimately passed. Now the story is considered old news and I haven’t been able to publish it elsewhere. I’d like to hear from editors on what they think proper pitch & follow-up protocol is.

5. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I think I've crossed the point where I can rightfully hit 'send' on that proposal sitting in my drafts folder. Hopefully there's no backlash if they decide they're ready to run it in a week or two. I'll just have to man up about it.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Do him the favor of letting him know and you'll do yourself the favor of not losing an outlet for something else down the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted