1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before Newspapers die?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Jun 7, 2015.

?

How long before the end of all daily newspapers as we know them in their current print format?

This poll will close on Jun 7, 2045 at 12:54 AM.
  1. 1 year

2. 2 years

3. 3 years

4. 5 years

5. 10 years

6. 20 years

7. Newspapers must not, cannot and will not die!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't know about the rest, but the part in bold is a myth.

There are a million stories and studies out there showing that millennials are buying cars and houses, but here's one from a guy who said they wouldn't (in a story headlined "The Cheapest Generation") now admitting he was wrong (sort of): The Great Millennial Car Comeback - The Atlantic

Some quotes:

"This week, Bloomberg reports new data from J.D. Power & Associates, which finds that Millennials, or Generation Y (essentially: anybody born in the 1980s or 1990s), now account for 27 percent of new car sales. That's more than Generation X, and second only to Boomers.
    I read the article with gritted teeth. Red-faced and gripping my confirmation bias like the steering wheel of a drift-turning Motorsport vehicle, I emailed J.D. Power to get the data, hoping to find some morsel of evidence that Millennial demand for cars wasn't actually growing quickly.
    Now that I have seen the data, I can report: Millennial demand for cars is growing quickly. New vehicle sales among young people are rising as if drawn on a ruler."

"And what about our other prediction, that young people would spurn the suburban-home picket-fence picture that once illustrated the American Dream? It's the same story. Our 2012 predictions was prescient in a way, but we also failed to foresee how quickly the country would snap back to its sun-belt-suburban migration patterns.
    Rich 20- and 30-somethings with college degrees are much, much more likely to live in dense urban centers than they were 20 years ago, as Ben Casselman and Jed Kolko have explained. Some media narratives treat this rarified group as synonymous with Millennials, perhaps because it describes the clientele of the bars frequented by the coastal journalists who write those stories. But step outside Brooklyn, D.C., or Oakland, and you'll find that the broader story is completely different. Adults between 25 and 34 without bachelor's degrees (which is the majority!) are actually less likely to live in urban neighborhoods than they were at the turn of the century. Most of them are moving to the suburbs as soon as they can afford to."

"Young people are still buying cars, they're still moving out to the suburbs, and they're still looking to buy houses in the sunny swoosh that extends from the Carolinas, through Texas, and up into the northwest."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Forget it, he's rolling.

[​IMG]

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I met with several of editors from a Gannett paper last week to talk about various projects with my company and was amazed at how they openly mocked the print edition. Then again, we were sitting in their offices, which don't produce any printed products anymore. It's all digital while the dead-trees stuff is mostly handled in another state. Out of sight, out of mind.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Try making a papier-mache dinosaur out of strips torn from your iPhone or tablet.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What people often forget in these conversations is that daily newspaper readership has been declining steadily since 1980 -- well before the Internet existed. Information technology has certainly changed the landscape surrounding what newspapers do, but I suspect that there is more at play about why demand for newspapers has fallen off a cliff than just the mode of delivery.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When they do documentaries or "30 for 30s" in 2080 about a subject from the 2040s, what will they use as "remember when?" props without old newspaper clippings?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes and a few years ago the party line was newsprint is robust and here to stay.

What they haven't managed to do is change the model of who is selling ads and how they are sold. I would sell lots of small ads (sub shop ad on a page for the high school it is next to) etc.

But instead the model is to work the bigger clients and sell them print, online and social media combos.

They just do not get it.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Going online first isn't the problem. News is a 24-7 proposition.

It's giving it away for free and making it the same exact thing as the print product that is the problem.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't work at a gannett shop but that sounds like my place. Everything is a combo. And while the reps don't get in trouble for only selling print, it isn't considered a successful sale if they don't get a combo.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Going online first means a lot. They changed the news cycle and it doesn't allow for newspapers to succeed. Print editions have had set windows for breaking news. Those are gone, and newspapers lost a lot when their windows didn't mean diddly anymore.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK that's funny (and true). Maybe they'll use clunky printouts of web pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted