1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before it's OK to leave a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Yup. I left my last job after only eight months because it was a shithole. Before that I was at my newspaper for 10 1/2 years. I also think employers will notice if you've had one job that's lasted a number of years, along with a few here and there. Every job is not a perfect fit.

2. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

My basic rule of thumb is: As soon as you've got enough office supplies stockpiled.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Depends. Are you taking Monte with you, Lane?

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Life is too short to be miserable somewhere, but don't leave without giving it some time and a real effort to see if it can be as good as you'd hoped.

But, after that effort, feel free to bail.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree. Look out for number one. Especially in this day and age of never getting a raise and getting pay cut all the time.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True dat. I spent nearly $1,000 to move cross country (company never reimbursed me as promised) and then got laid off 10 months later. Stuck in a bad town with no resources at the same time the job market dried up. If I had known, I never would have taken the job in the first place. But, of course, hindsight is 20/20.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That company can suck dog hair. That pisses me off. Bastards.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know hindsight is 20/20, but one thing that I have done with each job is have the employer write a brief note stating the offer, with the wages listed, my starting date, etc.

Whenever I've done it, usually I get a strange vibe from them because they feel like they're entering into a contract. Which, in a way, they are. I always would tell them the story of the movie "Secret of My Success" where the Michael J. Fox character moves across country, walks into work his first day, and is told that he is fired.

In another vein on that topic, I once had a weekly newspaper group editor call me (at my paper, no less) to ask if I was interested in working for them. (Felt a little awkward, to say the least). Guy even quoted me a weekly salary. I told him that since I was at work, I'd call him back later when I was home, since I didn't want to be discussing another job right in front of my boss.

One of my trusted co-workers had worked for the group, so I asked him. He said that the company would pay the quoted price for a month or so, then claim financial issues and cut the salary by 33 percent. Needless to say, I called the editor back and declined.

I still think it would have been interesting to see what the editor would have said when I told him I wanted the job offer in writing.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This somehow seems relevant to me: The U.S. Labor Department estimates that the average person entering the workforce now will have between 10 and 14 jobs by the age of 38.

Draft saved Draft deleted