1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before it's OK to leave a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Feb 2, 2010.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Former guidelines of etiquette and decorum no longer apply. I've seen people leave after a year. I've seen people leave after a day.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Start looking now. If you get an offer back home, it's time to leave.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

People need to get over the notion that you need to stick with a job. Executives come and go. If a company wanted to keep employees around, maybe it should pay the employees well and provide a great working environment.

You don't see too many full-time employees leaving Microsoft or Google.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Guy left our place a few months ago for a higher title and a smaller paper.

Saw his resume. He's worked at 12 places. He's not even 40. Do the math. Being a "job hopper" apparently isn't a problem. Meanwhile, I'm 24+ years at my place and shitting bricks over this month's upcoming layoffs.

5. FPH

FPH New Member

Thanks for all the advice. EXTREMELY helpful. The main reason I want to go back home is I'm incredibly homesick. I love the paper but the hours are beyond brutal and it's just tough when you don't have family/friends to even things out.

However, as cutthroat as this business is the paper I'm out now is a very classy operation. Family owned and they treat their employees with respect. I'm thankful for the opportunity they've given me and don't want to put them in any sort of bind. That being the case, I'm going to do everything I can to at least make it six months and hopefully a year. Just to see if things turn around and because it's personally just hard for me to give up on something.

Here's another question, when is the appropriate time to let them know I'm looking around at jobs back home? I don't want my departure to blindside the department.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You should try to give two weeks' notice. If they're blindsided by that, that's their problem. I've always thought two weeks was pretty standard.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's good advice for after you've accepted another job. While you're looking, keep it to yourself. You never know how people might react. I've known bosses who have been cool with it and others who took that as your two-week's notice. You just never know. Keep it to yourself until you accept an offer.

8. You tell them you're looking at jobs back home when you accept one. Not a minute sooner. You don't owe them advance warning that you might leave. That's what two weeks notice is for. And in this job market, if they can't find a replacement, they aren't trying.

That being said, it sounds as if you like the position and the paper, but need to fill out your social circle. Maybe you just need to develop a couple good friendships in the new environs. I know that's easier said, but certainly there must be some co-workers who have common interests. Or maybe a hobby or sport or something can yield some new acquaintances.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great advice here. Don't tell your supervisors anything about "looking back home," no matter how nice they seem.

First mention you make of it should be when you give your two-weeks notice that you're leaving for your new gig. No one's feelings will be hurt.

10. FPH

FPH New Member

So you recommend then not listing them as references when sending out apps?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't list my boss as a reference anyway. If they want to talk to your boss, they can do that. They should ask you first though.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question, FPH.

If there's someone you work with (such as, perhaps, an assistant news editor who's not the "big boss") who would make a good reference, you could ask him or her to be a reference if they will keep things to themselves.

Not sure how big your workplace is, or if you have references you could use from previous jobs. The latter situation would work best, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted