1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How late is too late to run all area teams?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jun 24, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I know this is common usage (and no offense to jericho), but nothing is mental nails-on-chalkboard for me as someone referring to their state association's tournament that way.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

None taken. At least in NJ, that's the way it's used in converstion. Writing, I would say he made the state tournament twice. Converstion, he's gone to states twice.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

We had one state champion this spring. Writer tries to argue in our meeting that she shouldn't be spring athlete of the year because "she was only good on that one day and not over the course of an entire season like X softball player. Umm....didn't she have to qualify for state?

Then the complaint shifted to "well she was this close to finishing 3rd and then you wouldn't even consider her, so why consider her now?" Because she didn't finish 3rd, she finished 1st.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you alsohave an athlete of the year in each sport or just one per season?

Because it is kind of hard to compare across sports. And you could be a high jumper that wins state with a personal best. Are you better than a pitcher who was 27-1 with a o.50 ERA?

(Though sounds like your writer was putting the track kid down instead of arguing for the softball kid.)

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The coaches pick the conference teams and some of the district teams. We identify them as such.
    There are also district teams picked by AP members. I've never attended those meetings (our sports editor goes), but I've heard they can be quite entertaining. Apparently coaches aren't the only ones who play favorites. Those lists are then turned into the state AP, which picks the all-state teams.
    We've never picked our own all-area teams since I've been here (starting 19 years this fall). We prefer to cost kids scholarships in other ways.

Ace likes this.
  6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

We ended up solving the situation by naming overall spring athlete plus baseball and softball POYs rather than just naming a spring male and female athlete.

To be honest, it's a system that keeps changing year to year and even season to season. And that's really starting to get frustrating.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted