1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is your region portrayed in pop culture?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd beg to differ. To me, the Midwest starts at Chicago. It's hard to say that downstate Illinois, or even Wisconsin, isn't the Midwest.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Until "Parks and Recreation," there was a 30-year streak (post-"One Day at a Time") in which setting a show in Indiana was an instant death rattle.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You don't think Indiana's the Midwest? The land of corn and Mellencamp? Except perhaps for the region near Chicago, Indiana personifies the midwest stereotypes.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's close, but not quite. To me, Indiana is in that nebulous region with Ohio and Michigan -- a little too far east to be the true Midwest, not nearly enough in common with the east coast states or Appalachia to be lumped in with those.
    I suppose southern Indiana could be called the Midwest since it's pretty rural, but northern Indiana definitely has more of a Rust Belt feel to it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We can all make up whatever meanings we want for words, but if you ask anyone in Southern Illinois, they'll say they are in the Midwest.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

New Jersey drivers are drivers, not motorists. We ain't here to sight-see, we're going somewhere and want to get there. You're doing 55 on Route 80 or the Turnpike or Parkway, get the fuck outta my way.
    Yes, we all know guidos and guidettes. We've spent our entire lives avoiding and ignoring them.
    As for attitude, two words: Fuck off!

:eek: ;D :D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shockey, you get off spnited's log-on this instant!

8. KG

KG Active Member

They usually get Atlanta totally wrong, but the things they portray about my home state of Kentucky aren't too far off from some Eastern parts of the state.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I had a guy telling me about a trip he made once to see Tim Couch play in high school. He said "You go to Harlan, then ..."

I cut him off and said, "Anywhere that the directions START in Harlan, I don't need to know about."

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I take it you haven't spent a lot of time there? Culturally, Indiana is very Midwest, probably even more so than it's western neighbor, Illinois. The exception is the northwest region near Chicago and along the Lake (Gary, Hammond, Michigan City, EC, etc.). That region is culturally different than the rest of the state and certainly far less "midwestern." But the rest of the state very much qualifies.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Let's see ... Mooseport, Bob Newhart, Murder She Wrote, Dolores Claibourne, Super Troopers, any book by Jodi Picoult ...

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As son of NJ, I think the stereotypes ring quite true.
    The issue is always one of breadth. The stereotypes are not exhaustive. They don't represent the majority of NJ, but they represent a significant, identifiable segment of the population.

Draft saved Draft deleted