1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is your region portrayed in pop culture?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to say.

My expectations are so low these days that if they get the accent right, I can live with the rest. Megan Fox can't act her way out of a paper bag, but seemed to pull off a Southern accent in Jonah Hex (she IS from Tennessee, after all). Holly Hunter, Billy Bob Thornton and Reese Witherspoon are good, too, but they're all from the South.

Best "non-Southerner" Southern accent? Probably Christopher Guest in "Best in Show."

Worst? Probably Dan Aykroyd in "Driving Miss Daisy."

2. As of late, the fake southern accents drive up me a fucking wall... Like the McDonald's biscuit commercial.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Movies portray people in our region as skinnier and smarter than they really are.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Can be summed up in one compound word:

RoboCop

Pretty much spot-on.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Baldacci and Cornwell do a decent job...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't that a documentary?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My region is always someplace else in the movies.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm from Kansas, and since all anybody knows about Kansas is the Wizard of Oz, I have been called Dorothy, I've been asked where Toto is, I've heard, "You're not in Kansas anymore!" so many times that the last person who said that, I replied with, "Is that SERIOUSLY the best you can come up with?!"

Damn I hate that friggin movie.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wenders, you should see "Wicked." Absolutely turns the story on its ear. Also very entertaining. I'm not a big theater person, but I really enjoyed that play.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're driving through Kansas and turn on the "Dark Side of the Moon" CD when you cross the border, does it sync up in any meaningful way with points of interest in the state?

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm from Mississippi, and we've been portrayed all over the pop culture map. In some aspects, they're ridiculously over the top, but I can tell you there is shit that goes on WAY beneath the surface here that makes the pop culture stereotype look like Beverly Hills.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If I ever see Kyra Sedgwick in person, I'm going to have to fight the urge to strangle her for her butchery of a southern accent. That accent pukes all over what otherwise would be a pretty good show. Drives me up the fucking wall.

There, I feel better.

Draft saved Draft deleted