1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is your local school disrict making up its snow days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a problem for NYC Public Schools. They just stay open.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We've only had four this year and the school calendar allows for two. So they got rid of a "teacher work day" and added one day to the end of the school year. It was scheduled to end on a Wednesday and now it will end on a Thursday.

It will be interesting to see what they do in Georgia, where some school districts have had 15+ days canceled.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We had eight built in snow days and today marks No. 9. We have to Monday instead of being out as originally scheduled. If we miss more, the next scheduled off day that goes away is Good Friday. The next would be tacking on a day at the end of the year (May 22). We are scheduled to be out May 6 for election day because the schools are used for voting, but that would be the next choice. Thankfully, taking days from spring break wasn't even mentioned as an option. If we can dodge any more weather for about three more weeks, we should be good.

Personally, I'm for tacking days on at the end. All my students are seniors, and graduation is set for May 17. That won't change. That would just be days for me to clean up the room!

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Here, they're adding like 6 minutes a day, each day, which as mentioned above, seems like a really sub-optimal solution.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At my first glance at that page, I was wondering why Jeter was in jail.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Down here on the Gulf Coast, they took away the two days off for Mardi Gras (March 3 & 4) and the one for Memorial Day (May 26).

Mardi Gras is a HUGE deal down in these parts. It's even a paid holiday at my shop.

Memorial Day not so much, being a "Yankee" holiday as it is.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Will "disrict" be on the spelling test?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Today was the seventh snow day used.
    District had built three snow emergency days into the calendar.
    For the next two, a teacher's in-service workshop day originally scheduled for today became a make-up day. Now it's been wiped off the books.
    Now spring break is being cut into. Of the five days scheduled for spring break, they'll be in school for three of them as makeup days. Not sure what the plan is if we get more than two snow days the rest of the winter.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how my old school district deals with it. With it being such a rural community, kids have to be home well before Memorial Day to help with wheat harvest. I don't think I went to school ever past May 17 because of it (meaning I was really confused when my Internet friends were discussing still being in school in JUNE. I have never even been close to still attending school in June).

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I live in a suburban district ranked annually among the best in the state, in virtually every measurable way. When they put out the school calendar, they have it all spelled out - the first snow day is free, then it takes away MLK Day, President's Day and a couple of teacher in-service days, then adds additional to the end of the school year. The only thing they don't touch is spring break. In the 9 years we've been here, we've never had more than 1 or 2 days added to the end. This year will probably be a week on the back end.

The big city we're a suburb to doesn't plan for any snow days. They put out the calendar, then figure things out as or after they are happening. The students went into Christmas break not knowing when their finals would be or the first semester would end. They don't force kids to give up any days off, and now are asking for special consideration from the state to be able to just punt the dozen or so snow days they've had and call it good. Looks like they are going to have to make up 1 out of every 2 snow days we've had and add it to the end of the school year, which the district is pouting about.

This big-city district has a horrible graduation rate, pitiful ACT/SAT test scores, a frighteningly low number of students go on to college, and something like 60 percent of the enrollment is eligible for reduced-price lunches. The flight to the suburban districts is pretty big. I'd think at some point there may be a light bulb going off, that treating classroom time like it can be blown off without worry, that school doesn't matter and time off is more important than learning time, has helped lead to its problems.

Especially when there are a good half-dozen suburban districts that do virtually everything diffrerently and have completely different results.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's crazy to hear. We already have a set and detailed school calendar for 2014-15.

I do hope they factored in more snow days next year. Last year, we had 11 built in and didn't use them all. This year, they gave us 8, and it's biting us in the ass exactly as we speak (used them all and now have to go today).

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that's really weak...

Draft saved Draft deleted