1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is this not an error?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by trench, May 14, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i'm sure that took place in a high school park.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Without seeing the play, I can't say for certain how I would score it, but from the description here I would say F9 (no sac fly, no RBI) and no error. You give a guy an extra base "on the throw" all the time -- man on second, single to the outfield, throw comes home to try to get the runner at the plate and batter moves up to second on the throw. Even if the throw is up the line, it's not an error. I can see where the same logic would work in this situation, but I would've had to see the play to know for sure how I would score it.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

You give a guy an extra base on a throw to get another runner.

Had a runner been scoring and the guy advanced on the throw home, I agree -- he advances on the throw home TO ATTEMPT TO GET ANOTHER RUNNER.

In this case, there is no runner and you have to account for the base. It HAS to be an error.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't see how it "HAS" to be an error. If the right fielder makes the throw home, and the throw ends up being six feet to the left of the plate and the runner scores, is that an error?

So what's the difference if the throw stops a few feet in front of the plate? It's the same distance away from the plate and still accurate. Should the right fielder be working out with five extra pounds in the weight room, he could have made the plate.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

There are two factors here, but it HAS to be an error because you HAVE to account for every base.

If the throw home was an attempt to get a runner out, and the batter/runner takes second, that is not an error, regardless if the throw was bad or not.

If the batter/runner holds up at first base on the throw home, hesitates, then takes second, there is a throwing error that accounts for the batter/runner taking second.

It becomes a judgement call when more than one runner is involved. But you still have to account for every base, and if in the scorer's opinion, the runner took an extra base on a bad throw and not just a throw, you have to give an error.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

On fly ball runner advances from second to third. And runner advances from first to second.

On throw to home, made to prevent runner from advancing from third to home, runner advances from third to home anyway. Runner also advances from second to third. Scored as runners advance on throw. All bases accounted for. No error.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Bingo.

8. trench

trench Member

I've enjoyed all replies and have been searching for the clip on youtube, but it hasn't turned up. It happened in a crucial rubber game Sunday between Florida and Alabama. It was televised on CSS, so it may turn up on a replay. It was actually an amazing catch in RF - Gators' Riley Cooper robbed a guy of a HR with a catch about a foot above the fenceline. The throw was pretty clearly not intended for the cut-off man, and was heading directly for the plate, but he just skipped it on the grass which slowed it down. Basically, I think the kid just brain-farted after a great catch and threw home without thinking. The runner never stopped, although he did stutter a little because he "couldn't believe" the wave sign. Bang bang play at the plate. Tough call.

trench

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The more I look over the example, I think of a reason it could be scored one way and then a reason it could be scored another. I think we all think it's cut-and-dried, but I look at it one way and try to think if the runner was going all the way or if he was going to stop at third. And then there's what if the first baseman hadn't been able to get to the ball before the runner scored? Each little thing influences how I might score the play, at least initially. I'm starting to think now that there are as many ways to score the play as there are people on the board. You would have to just see it for yourself and sort things out the best you could. For some, it's a no brainer. For some, they might not make a final decision until after the end of the game.

And isn't that part of why we love baseball? :D

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You better give him the RBI. Otherwise, some parent is going to accuse you of hurting his chances for a college scholarship.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

How 'bout F9 and FC? That accounts for the base, Harley, and it seems more appropriate than E9, in my mind.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd have to see the play for myself, but it sounds to me as though if the throw-in hadn't been wild, the runner wouldn't have scored. Therefore, E9.

Draft saved Draft deleted