1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is this not an error?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by trench, May 14, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But if said throw is inaccurate or otherwise creates an outcome that should not have happened, it's an error. The right fielder's error was not hitting the cutoff man. His intent is not the issue; it's the outcome.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No sac fly, no RBI and no error.

It's not a sac fly because two bases were gained after the error. That's the same reason for no RBI.

If the throw had been on the mark but the runner beat the catcher making the tag, that's not an error. If the throw had been a little to the left or right, as most throws from right field on such a play are, and the runner is safe, that's not an error. If the throw comes up short and the runner is safe, that's also not an error. A poor throw, sure - is Johnny Damon in right field? - but certainly no error.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it's a tie game, bottom of the ninth and two outs, what do you care of the runner from first goes to second or not?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. You can't charge an error for trying to throw to home plate and the throw not making it.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Not an error, but I find it difficult to give a SF. He overthrew the cutoff man? I don't think it is a physical error. Maybe a mental one. I could see both sides, but overthrowing the cutoff man isn't an error. If he threw it in the stands, it's an error. But, there is no expectation that hitting the cutoff man is a routine play. If the ball was going towards home plate, then it may very well be a sacrifice fly.

Edit: I remember the Yankees had Andy Fox tag up from second in a game about 10 years ago. Yanks were down 9-1 or something like that and that started the rally where they eventually won. Guy caught the ball in deep right center and dove after the catch. His back was to the field on the dive and he had no chance getting Fox.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Don't say, "no error," then say two bases were gained after the error.

It is a one-base error all the way. It doesn't matter what the intent was. A bad throw led to a runner taking an extra base, whereas a good throw would have held him. That is an error.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

would the runner have scored had the douchebag hit the cutoff man?

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen years ago. Scorekeeper didn't want to give a kid an error he deserved. Said he was trying to be nice to the kid. The director of the baseball association happened to be there and asked if that was fair to the pitcher, who got charged with an earned run when he shouldn't have. Scorekeeper looked at him like the proverbial deer staring into headlights. No answer.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I don't think you can give a player an error because his arm is too weak to throw a ball from deep right to the plate.

If I understand the description of the play, he caught the fly ball, a runner tagged from second and advanced to third, then, in order to prevent the runner from scoring (as if that's possible, but I digress), the right fielder threw to home — but didn't reach the infield much less home. Again, if I read the description of the original post correctly, the player's throw was on target, just very, very short.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

To keep the force in play and make it easier on your infielders.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the 1982 World Series, Willie McGee scored from second on a sacrifice fly when Gorman Thomas had to go deep into the left-center gap and hit off the wall after the catch.

In this situation, if the runner never slowed around third, it can be rightly scored a sac fly. If the runner stopped at third, the official scorer can rule one of two ways: E9 on the throw; or, if the throw was accurate toward the plate and not toward any cut-off man, runner takes third on the fly and scores on the throw.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I remember a similar play involving the Rangers back around 1989 or '90. They had runners on second and third and both tagged up on a ball hit to the gap in right-center. The center fielder had to run a long to make the catch going away from the infield. By the time the center fielder was able to stop, turn and throw, the runner from second was already around third. It was ruled a two-RBI sac fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted