1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Met Your Mother - The Grinch Episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is one of the few decent non-animated comedies on network TV.

They came damn close to ruining it by breaking Ted and Lily up at the beginning of the season. They better not do anything else to fuck it up...

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i like how i met your mother ok, will watch it and it's ok... but this is spoken like someone who doesn't watch the office

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't consider The Office a sitcom... I'm not sure what it is, but it's funny as hell...

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe in the first season one of the kids called him dad during the narration.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Honestly, if you switch the names of the shows around in that statement, that is how I feel about them.

I like the Office, but don't find it nearly as funny as HIMYM.

It's why Baskin-Robbins makes 32...

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Could the Office be a documedy?
    It is shot like a documentary and it is a comedy so that gets you documedy.
    The older guy is Ted and I know he's voiced by Bob Saget. More brilliant casting.
    Slap Bet was hilarious, but the line in the Grinch episode where she says that she's sorry that Ted had to spend time with his family on the holiday is priceless.
    That and "Mommy, what's a grinch?" And the chorus of "Grinch, Grinch, Grinch" at the end.
    The interweb has some speculation that Aunt Robin is Ted's pet name for his wife. The first episode never said she wasn't his wife, just that he called her "Aunt Robin."

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Marshall and Lily break up? Are they back together? I need to keep up.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sounds like a serious reach and a cheat if they ever try to pull that. I don't think Ted has met his kids' mother yet. I think that is something for the last episode, or last few episodes, of the series.

I think Robin will be true to the character they established early on and find a way to fuck things up.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that this show is probably the second funniest non-animated sitcom.

My top 5:

1) The Office
    2) HIMYM
    3) Earl
    4) Everybody Hates Chris
    5) Scrubs -- would have been higher, but the two episodes this year have been awful

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I don't remember in the first episode... what happened?

I'm sure Ted and Robin end up together... I just hope this show doesn't turn into Friends were everyone dates everyone else and it's NEVER akward. Ugh.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The episode is devoted to Ted meeting Robin for the first time. He goes on a date with her and tells her "I love you" at the end of it, which freaks her out. The show ended with Bob Saget as older Ted telling the kids "And that's how I met your aunt Robin."

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Forget "in the end." They won't even be together by next October.

Remember the episode with Barney's brother's gay wedding? At the beginning of the episode, Saget makes a comment in the narration about how single people are always willing to stay out, while couples always just want to bum around the house and aren't as motivated to do much socializing. At the end of the episode, it's "one year later" at the wedding. Lily and Marshall get up from the table because they're tired and just want to go home. Ted and Robin both want to stay out. Ted and Robin as a couple earlier in the episode, however, were homebodies just like Lily and Marshall.

I remember reading an interview with one of the creators last year who said they've already got the last five minutes of the final episode planned. It's just a matter of writing a story to get there. If nothing else, it's at least encouraging to know they've got a direction and destination planned. Friends could have used that in its final couple years.

Draft saved Draft deleted