1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Met Your Mother - The Grinch Episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why don't women understand this phenomenon? Hell, they do it, too, when their friends get dumped, calling the guy a loser, etc. It's what you do to make your friend feel better for not being with that person anymore.

Very funny episode.

After an IMDB check, yes she was. I was actually convinced she played the girlfriend Julie on "Growing Pains" and wondered how she had aged so well. But upon said IMDB check, I saw that she was not. It was Julie McCullough who played the yummy girlfriend, though they do look quite similar.

McCullough (back in the day):
    [​IMG]

Andrea Anders:
    [​IMG]

BTW, do not do a google image search of Julie McCollough at work unless the safe search is on. YOWZA!

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the episode was very good, not great. The Marshall subplot was kind of silly.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think every guy has done that at least once. After a buddy was dumped by his fiancee less than a month before the wedding, I was elected by our group of friends to tell him we all thought she was a materialistic, money-grubbing bitch (she made him change jobs before agreeing to marry him).

Two weeks after I tell him, they're back together. Dumbass tells her what I said. We haven't spoken in close to eight years now.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I love HIMYM. It's fantastic. It's up there with the Office for me. Just a nice funny getaway. The Class also definitely has its moments.

but everyone who has said this is right: The slap bet episode has by far been the best. Grinch!

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had a buddy that I would always resist saying stuff like that no matter how much I disliked the girl (and I disliked all but one of the girls he dated before he got married), because I knew he was a wuss and would take them back no matter what he did.

One time as I was biting his tongue while he complained about how much the girl of the moment had heard him, his father came over and told him to stop whining. He said a few unflattering things about the girl and that my buddy's whiny behavior was embarrassing. Now this was the one and only time I EVER knew this guy to get angry about anything.

Lucky for all of us my buddy finally realized what a doorknob this girl was (sorry if you don't get the reference) and moved on.

As far as the show, it was great stuff. I liked that Ted wasn't just mad at Lilly for hurting Marshall. He was mad she never apologized for blowing him off, too.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, here's my complaint about HIMYM. Haven't seen it since they moved it to 8 pm. It was in a perfect niche there, then they moved it, and I'm never home in time to catch it. Damn.

7. Inky_Wretch

Tivo, Killick, Tivo.

I'm still interested in how the writers will work around the first episode. I can't believe Robin and Ted don't wind up together in the end.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Robin dies ... the perfect escape hatch.
    I think HIMYM is the American version of Coupling, my favorite show on BBC. They are missing a female character, but I think the writers were inspired by Coupling.
    And on saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
    One time, I was talking with a sports writer friend and I knew a girl who had went to work at his paper. I always thought she was kind of bitchy and said as much and he said, "umm, yeah, we're dating."
    Awkward silence.
    They are now happily married and still much bitterness and resentment swirls. I haven't talked to that dude on the phone since like three days ago. And I haven't gotten an e-mail from his wife in, like, a day.

9. Inky_Wretch

Kill Robin!?! Are you mad!?! That would be the ultimate shark jumping moment for HIMYM.

"Tonight, on a very special 'How I Met Your Mother' Ted says one last goodbye to the love of his life, while Barney hits on chicks at at the wake."

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

no way they kill off robin. and isn't saget always referring to her as "aunt robin??" ??? ??? ???

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm a luddite. Don't even have cable.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's possible that I've missed the kids actually calling him Dad, but is it at all possible that the kids are Marshall and Lily's? I'm thinking maybe it's Ted telling Marshall and Lily's kids about how he met Lily? Is that possible? I dunno, I just don't see the point of having Robin be a love interest if they've made it that plain that she's not "Your Mother".

Draft saved Draft deleted