1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I got out of the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Asshole editors and asshole publishers all know this, of course, which is why so few of them bother to pay extra in raises or bonuses for it. They love people whose personal standards cause them to bust a gut over each day's work, even if the carrot of an enhanced paycheck or a wage that simply keeps up with the cost of living has long been snatched away. They have the same warm place in their hearts for these folks as they do for the people who will work 10- or 12-hour days without filing for overtime pay. They scream bloody murder, though, if the prep school to which they're sending their heirs (your kids need not apply) bumps tuition by 5%.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

This is true and after being in the biz for only a year (I'm fresh outta college), I've already learned this. Not saying everyone above me is an asshole, complainer or whatever. But it seems busting your butt really gets you no further at the office you're at as far as pay, raises, incentives, bonuses, etc. go. Sometimes I get a pat on the back, thank you or good job, but that doesn't pay my bills. I learned that the hard way this week and it's been quite discouraging, which is why I've ventured into these type of posts.

I don't want to sound like I'm on my high horse, but all I've ever known is to bust my ass at work - since my first job packing groceries at 16. Now, I've got a degree and am in a professional environment and still busting my ass (actually doing it harder now given that it's a career and I'm obviously matured).

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do agree that in the journalism business if you work hard and do a good job, you don't seem to necessarily get rewarded for it like you do in other careers.

If you are really lucky, you might get a "better" beat, more pressure and more hours at the same pay.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

Right. And I think part of the profession is the gratification you get for these promotions to be bigger and better beats. Hey, you've earned it, right? (Unless the guy ahead of you got bought out or laid off or whatever). But at the same time, you're only reward is often getting the better team or the column, not necessarily higher pay or better hours.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes, and the asshole editor and publisher's take also would be that, "You are expected to do this. You are lucky to have a job. We can get a kid to do the job you do." Wrong. Truly devoted, accomplished workers do not come along every day and are totally ignored in this business. Now if you go to meetings and speak corporate and go get a sandwich for the managing editor and speak corporate speak some more, you might get ahead. Too bad quality doesn't matter anymore, just to the person doing the quality work. The truly great, however, cannot kiss butts and speak corporate speak. They do their jobs well until they finally get laid off.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a lot of SEs out there who are using the upcoming layoffs as something they can dangle over the heads of their employees...

"Oh, you won't work desk, well Writer X will work desk. I'm just saying..."

"Oh, you don't want to work 80 hours this week, well I'll take note of that..."

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but they say it with a smile.

8. Mizzougrad96

Most SEs don't have any say over the cuts. But they'll make people think otherwise if they can use it to their advantage.

9. EnZona

EnZona Member

Mizzou -

Maybe I missed it, but if you don't mind sharing, what field of work are you in now? I ask because it's sometimes hard to see how a journalism degree could translate to anything other than working at a newspaper. Or if necessary, public relations. Are you in anything remotely related to journalism or did you make a clean cut?

If something different, how'd you manage that and how were you received by employers who might have been thinking, "What is this is ex-reporter doing in my office who has no experience in this field?" I imagine getting out the industry all together is a little bit like getting out of college again; heading out into the world, not knowing what to expect.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think to say "there are a lot of ..." is kinda shitty, MG.

i'm sure there are some cocksuckers out there, but come on.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm doing nothing even remotely related to journalism. I kind of wish I was, but the PR opportunites were limited where I am and I didn't want to uproot my kids and move.

Draft saved Draft deleted