1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I got out of the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the only event I would spend $100 to see would be the NCAA Tournament.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My $100 list

Super Bowl
    NCAA Tourney
    Duke home game (I have yet to see one, but I might have a line on sweet seats. I work with a woman whose son has verbally committed to the Dukies).
    Masters
    US Open golf
    World Series
    possibly front row at Wrestlemania
    British Open
    Steeler playoff game
    Pirate or Penguin playoff game
    Stanley Cup
    I would say heaveyweight title fight, but when is that ever going to be worth seeing?
    BCS title game

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I went to a golf major shortly after leaving the business, and I swear I will never do it again. Inside the ropes or on TV is the only way to go.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good job for doing it the right way, Mizzou.

I really saw the writing on the wall when I came back from Afghanistan and had no job. Luckily, I landed on my feet after that one with a decent job. I did reasonably well, but didn't get the promotion. A girl on the desk got it, and it was never the same after that. We butted heads all the time, but I didn't fare well in the "assistant" role. I realized that, without an education, I had hit the ceiling.

About that time, Mrs. tbf was finishing school, and luckily she got a job that would support us both. So, I walked, finished my education and here I sit.

Funny thing, though. About three months after I left, the ME called and offered me the position I wasn't good enough for about a year earlier. I actually laughed into the phone.

5. Mizzougrad96

I was invited to a NFL game recently.

My initial reaction? You mean, sit outside? Fuck that... ;D

I'm not going to lie, that's how I felt.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

With all those screaming idiots? I'll pass.

I make exceptions when I can get my hands on my company's box for the Wiz or the Caps, but then it's only for the free booze.

7. Mizzougrad96

Basketball and baseball are the only sports I like watching live.

Football is so much better on TV that it's not even funny.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow, in the back of my head I think you were one of the ones on this site that I thought, "If Mizzou gets out, you know everything's fucked to hell." I'm not sure why you.

I've conversed with you, fought with you, and once or twice miraculously agreed with you on this website for 5 years.

I have no idea who you are and don't really care who you are.

But what I feel for you right now is proud of you and RELIEVED for you.

Congratulations.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Honestly, Mizzou posted so much about the buyouts that I thought it was very clear they were at the top of his mind. And during the period when he went off his rocker on the Politics board, I suspected there was something going on in the real world.

10. Mizzougrad96

Thanks... I'm relieved for me too... ;D

I'll also be relieved for all of the others who can get out and get another job.

11. Mizzougrad96

Buyouts have been on my mind since about 2006 when my friend had his job eliminated.

Not to re-live anything that happened on the political board, but one thing had ZERO to do with the other.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Funny thing, that's kind of how I felt. Even though I don't know Mizzou and have no idea where he's worked, he's always been a staple of this site. He's always offered great advice when people have asked, and I've always thought of him as the consummate journalist. A blow to our industry, without a doubt. Good luck on the book proposals.

Draft saved Draft deleted