1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I got out of the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care if your SE is your best friend. If they tell you you're safe, they're lying. Under the best case scenario, they don't know, but if they tell you you're safe and you're not your paper's equivalent of Bill Plaschke, they're lying.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good for you, Mizzou. It looks like you handled it very well under the circumstances. Good reporters usually see clearly through the bullshit.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'd love to say it was that simple... When my friend, who had an identical job to mine, just in a different sport, was canned, it was like I was hit in the face with a cinder block. It was the combination of that, and the uncertainty of my job security for more than two years that made me essentially start to hate a job that I had always loved.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The worst part about our profession is that if you go to an employer he's going to ask, "What skills do you have?"
    Telling him, "I interview naked men in locker rooms," doesn't seem like much of a skill, but it is.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

What would it take to buy you off this site, Mizzou?

6. Mizzougrad96

It'll never happen. ;D

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Bravo to you, Mizzou, for getting out of the business while the getting was (somewhat) good and for sharing your story here. Best of luck in the new gig.

8. Mizzougrad96

For those of you with families, you'll never believe how nice it is to be able to eat dinner without having to jump every time your phone goes off.

Leaving work and not having to worry about what happens until the next day is truly an amazing feeling.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It stinks having to pay for tickets, but it is nice to be able to sit down and watch college football on a Saturday and actually choose the game I am watching.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I am sometimes still in awe when I wake up on a Saturday and realize I don't have to be anywhere that day.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

It's kind of nice to have the money to pay for said tickets, though.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I still won't pay huge money to see a game. I don't think I have ever spent over $100 for a ticket.

I won't pay to watch regular season NBA games either.

Draft saved Draft deleted