1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I got out of the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice work, MG.

it took some balls to post that.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Well done, MG.

Wishing you nothing but the best, sir.

3. Mark McTyre

Mark McTyre New Member

MG: I hear you loud and clear.

I moved from newspapers to the Web earlier this year and my home life improved dramatically. Much less stress about the what-ifs and the have-nots of the old job, which I loved greatly.

Now, however, I fret for those I left behind as I hear and read stories of looming layoffs on a near-daily basis. I hope for the best for everyone.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Just curious ... why did you wait for three-and-a-half months to share? Thought enough time had passed, I'm guessing? I'll bet it was mildly theraputic.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Good luck to you, to those who stayed behind and to others who parted ways with your paper.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Mizzou, you're a smart guy. Prior to my layoff years ago, I was told I was safe all through the week before it happened. Doesn't matter who you are or what you do for the the job, everybody is a target. Can't trust anybody to shoot straight anymore either. A business based on finding truth is run by habitual liars.

7. Good for you, Mizzou.

I hear the same thing, nothing to worry about.

I don't believe them.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With the next round of cuts coming at so many places, I wanted people to know that this can happen to anyone and not to feel bad about it. There have been so many times where I almost slipped and said something on one of the layoff threads. I also wanted people to know that taking an aggressive approach to it can sometimes be a good thing.

I printed every email I got from management and HR so I arguably had the previous agreement in writing, which is a huge reason why I got what I did. I was locked out of the company email within five minutes of being informed that they were pushing the buyout date up. It's highly possible that they had done it before even telling me.

Even when you try to do everything right, they do everything they can to make the experience as miserable as possible. Even with everything I did, I felt like I was fired. I haven't set foot in the building since it happened. I had a co-worker drop off my Blackberry and laptop and grab a few things of mine that I had in the office. I was never in the office much as it was and I know that when my friend had been kicked out the door they had a security guard at his desk as he cleaned out his stuff. I wasn't going to go through any of that, because I knew that if I saw certain people there, that it was possible that I would do something I'd regret later.

9. Mizzougrad96

He's one of the few people out there who is making enough as a freelancer to survive. I could never do that. I have a wife and two young kids so I don't think I could deal with the uncertainty that comes with being a freelancer. He has months where he clears $10K and then he'll go two months without another gig. He has days where he'll get calls from the major magazines followed by a call from a place that wants to pay him $50 to string a college volleyball game. It fucks with his head. I definitely could not handle that.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good luck with your future endeavors

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never delete your emails. Never.

If you can, back them up or blind copy everything to a yahoo account. Always try to get HR to tell you in an email what they say to your face.

Mizzou, your political views are for crap, but I really hope you keep posting on this board.

Hopefully what you are doing now takes advantage of your writing and opinion skills.

12. Mizzougrad96

I appreciate that and I assure you, as long as this board exists, I will be posting here...

I'm guessing there are a lot more regulars here who are in a similar situation. They can fill us in when they decide the timing is right for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted