1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How high is your social-consciousness meter?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The western desert lives and breathes at 45 degrees.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank, just out of curiosity, did you recycle today? :)

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife handles that once a month. If she's crabby that day, I call her The Recycle Bitch. Sometimes she laughs.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, serious question.

Do you have to take it to a recycling depot or does the city pick it up?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We have to drive it there, about a mile away. We moved a year ago. Everywhere else around here, they picked it up. The first town was really anal with it, a half-dozen different receptacles for various things. You could get fined if you didn't recycle. Here it's optional.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, just curious.

Having to drive your recycling is a little, well, backward,

Just me.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's the U.S., JR. You know.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

JR, you are being ridiculous. Say you've read her work and you don't agree, or you see illogic in her approach. Feel free to even respond to what I wrote about her ideas on this thread (and I am no expert, just someone with some interest) with something tangible about why you think those ideas are dishonest. Fine. But a "crackpot" can ALWAYS easily be dismissed intellectually. And you've skipped right by that right into arrogant dismissiveness. No offense, but that's what rigid people often do rather than confronting difficult ideas they find threatening.

But dude, it's cheap and easy. Throwing around the word "sophmoric" is a half-assed way to dismiss someone. Comparing someone who sees value in what she wrote to Hitler's belief in something (and all you need is a search engine to come up with the names of some very serious people who have been influenced by her) smacks of someone with no ammo. Basically, you haven't said a word about anything the woman wrote, other than your certainty that she's a "crackpot" and she has some sort of sophmoric ideas about capitalism (and seriously, if that is your one-sentence description of what Ayn Rand wrote about, I suspect you don't understand anything with any amount of complexity... let alone Nietzsche).

Why not hit a library or simply type Nietzsche's and her her name into a search engine and read the TOMES that have been written about whether or not her thinking was influenced by his and about the similarities and differences in their philosophies. Why not look at the credentials of some of the people taking that topic seriously. Of course, all the people writing those things and actually taking her seriously are "shallow" and "ignorant" and don't understand Neitzsche the way you do. They're crackpots, I guess.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ragu
    That's your first mistake. I never said that. Read my post again.

I'm waiting for YOU to cite me some references that legitimize her work. Give me one. Don't tell me there are "serious people who have been influenced by her" without citing sources. Who?

I pretty much told you about my opinion of her ideas in an earlier post: based on her novels, it's quite clear she believes all businessmen are heroic figures while those who attempt to regulate them (like any government) are corrupt and amoral. It's silliness beyond belief.

She believes that free enterprise,without controls, is fundamentally good and the basis of a just, rational and equitable society.

And if you believe that, I have land in Florida.

I never said she was dishonest. She's just not credible. On any level.

It's facile bullshit. It's not even debate-worthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted