1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How high is your social-consciousness meter?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Dec 14, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Coming off the Wal-Mart thread, I find this interesting. I think it's pretty clear that my needle is relatively low. I don't make shopping decisions based on working conditions or poor pay. I don't change what I do day-to-day over concerns about the ozone layer. I'm about as apolitical as it gets.

Now, it's suggested that most of us came into journalism with a strong sense of social consciousness, and some of us lost our idealism. OK. That's a working hypothesis.

But what do you all think? Are you socially conscious? Do you think it's a sign of lacking character to NOT be socially conscious? I don't much care if this thread turns into a flame war or whatever; that could even be fun. ;) Just weigh in.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think it's a sign of lacking character if you don't have much of a social conscience.

But if you can't be bothered to pay attention to issues that affect (positively or negatively) people's lives other than your own, either on a micro or macro level ... well, I think that's a pretty selfish attitude to take.

That, of course, makes most of us pretty fucking selfish. And no, I don't think that's a good thing.

You don't have to get worked up about everything (i.e. shopping at Wal-Mart.) Sure, pick and choose your battles. Just pick something. Apathy is such a waste of time.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm like you and Alley in that I don't base my shopping on a corporation's habits. I've owned Nikes, I've shopped at Wal-Mart (though Tar-zhay kicks its ass), etc.

But I have in the past. I guess I just don't have a "line in the sand," as JR put it.

But I don't begrudge others their political views, either. Different strokes for different folks.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I understand what people mean when they describe themselves as apolitical, but in the strictest sense, I don't think that being it's possible to be politically neutral. Apathy or disengagement reinforces the status quo, and that, in my view, is political. I'm not getting my jollies by pointing that out, by the way...I just think it's true.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My life is the same now as it was five years ago, eight years ago, last month and last week. I don't change what I do, I don't recycle, I throw away leftovers rather than heat them up.

I just don't care. And you can judge me for that if you want. Won't change the awful truth.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's lots of message board heroes here, Shotglass. Most of them are probably hypocrites to the Nth degree in other facets of their life. But it feels good to put you down in the Wal-Mart thread, since you don't share their steam in this issue.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't shop at Wal Mart or Starbucks. I buy organic and try to buy local whenever possible. I also search for fair-trade products, such as coffee. I shop at a locally owned grocery store for most of my stuff (they don't sell soy products though, dammit). So am I socially conscious about where I shop? Absolutely, but that also doesn't stop me from shopping at Target, so there ya go.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Fair trade! Ha! What a concept.

If trade were fair .... think about it.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I club baby seals for fun and then sell their pelts for profit. When I run out of baby seals I spill oil in the ocean -- oil that I acquired from terrorists in exchange for automatic weapons. I became a journalist because of the great hours, generous pay and the groupies, oh, yes, the groupies.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

That's horribly upsetting.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am a libertarian. I honestly have no expectations of others... until they violate the social compact and start doing things that violate the liberties of the people around them. I guess as long as you aren't raping, pillaging and murdering, I'm OK with you doing whatever floats your boat.

Some things are personally important to me, I guess. I don't eat meat. I don't wear any animal products. I have my reasons. I also don't expect everyone to behave like me. I'm obviously not in the mainstream and I have no desire to spend my days on earth fighting windmills. I'm content to feel that I am doing the right thing and will ultimately be judged well for it.

I eat a lot of organically grown vegetables, but not for any "social consciousness" reasons. I believe it's probably healthier. I'm just being self interested. And again, I don't expect everyone else to behave like me.

I do get bothered when other people try to dictate how everyone should behave. As I said, as long as I am not violating your rights (and I think of rights in the Lockean sense--life, liberty, honestly acquired property), I should be left free.

Draft saved Draft deleted