1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How high is your social-consciousness meter (Part II)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, May 28, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't remember any therapy or catharsis.

Just sad to see all the blacked-out names of those who have left us. :( They probably went and joined a recycling website instead.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My social consciousness meter is attuned to the same wavelength as my bullshit meter.

Seems like they go off in tandem quite a bit.

3. Lars Hanson

Lars Hanson New Member

So does mine, whenever I see the work of that Andy Auger character.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That old thread is an uncomfortable read. The way some people were yelling at each other over this, it's obvious the board needed the enema that came just weeks later in the form of John D. Villarreal and his various antics.

Personally, my recycling, shopping and voting habits are not fit to be posted on an Internet message board. And no one else's are my business.

You wanna vote? Good for you.

You shop at Wal-Mart? Hey, people need to save money.

You don't recycle? Well, obviously people like you are the reason we have hurricanes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I didn't think recycling was even an issue any more.

Toronto has mandatory recycling. We have maybe one small garbage bag every two weeks.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Recycling was an issue in Dickinson. There weren't too many drop off locations and the city didn't want to start single-stream recycling. I really need to set up recycling through my current trash hauler.

Phoenix was proactive as it gave every residential customer another container for single-stream recycling. Both were picked up weekly.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ever vigilant with regard to the environment, I used one plastic bag to pick up two dogs' worth of shit this morning.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Earth Day should be a paid holiday!

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know that in smaller Ontario towns you have to buy "garbage" tags which go on to your bags. cost varies from town to town 50 cents to a loonie per bag I think. It's an incentive to recycle.

We get garbage and green box picked up one week, recycling bins the next. Helps that all you have to do is haul it to the curb and you don't have to separate anything like the old days

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Remains to be seen if not recycling ever reaches the level of littering. Littering used to be no big deal; now it's considered a social sin. I guess smoking is somewhat like that, too.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like to put my cigarette butts in glass bottles and throw them out my window whille driving through national forests.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I thought I was the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted