1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How high is your social-consciousness meter (Part II)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, May 28, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So anyway, I was looking through some old threads, and came across this one from five years ago. It led to some great debate, and I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone's changed, or what some of the newer posters feel about it. The question is more or less copied from the one I threw up there the first time through.

How important is social consciousness to you? Do you make shopping decisions based on working conditions or poor pay? Do you think that your recycling habits mean something in the big picture? Do you think less of people who do not vote?

Now, it's suggested that most of us came into journalism with a strong sense of social consciousness, and some of us lost our idealism. OK. That's a working hypothesis.

But what do you all think? Are you socially conscious? Do you think it's a sign of lacking character to NOT be socially conscious? I don't much care if this thread turns into a flame war or whatever; that could even be fun. ;) Just weigh in.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guessing Lars Hanson isn't.

3. jr/shotglass

Yes, and he just may get sued for it.

4. dooley_womack1

Now would be a great time for "Lars Hanson" to become someone's sock puppet.

5. Lars Hanson

Lars Hanson New Member

The First Amendment protects speech.

How do you know Andrew Auger isn't lying to slander the good name of Lars Hanson?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can't find the link to the old thread.

7. jr/shotglass

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/35195/

8. dooley_womack1

That thread has gems, like Pastor without blue type!

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who would of thought Peter Garrett would be a Minister for School Education, Early Childhood and Youth back in 2006? How times have changed since then.

10. dooley_womack1

Man, too bad the Ayn Rand flame war petered out. And Atlas Shrugged was a bomb of a movie.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still don't recycle, and I still think you're all a bunch of goddamn hippies.

12. dooley_womack1

That reminds me, there was the aspect of therapeutic catharsis on that thread, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted