1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm as loyal a fan of that show as you'll find -- I didn't even hate the finale! -- but no thanks.

KYSportsWriter and PaperClip529 like this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It doesn't deserve it....but the "How About No" Bear would work here.

4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Anybody check out the “How I Met Your Father” launch? Or is everyone still jaded by the HIMYM finale?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought it was just OK. Low C to Low B range - my wife liked it more. Except for Duff and Cattrell, the rest of the cast doesn't have quite the pedigree of HIMYM, which I think might be its downfall. Like, they feel like they're playing "quirky" instead of just being it. Fewer laughs than the original, although the cast is more diverse, so I imagine at some point there will be an argument about how it went "woke" and thus it sucks now.

By the way, since he's no longer on the board, just confirming that ole pal Schiezainc still hates the finale with the burning heat of a thousand suns. Every once in a while, someone on FB will mention the show or the finale, and even the second-hand heat from his comments is enough to keep my whole house warm. (p.s. I agree with him, probably the worst finale I've ever seen, although the last season of Shameless gets my Worst Final Season award.)

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We watched the first 2 episodes. Fairly meh — they forced the group very quickly and everyone was 20% too quirky. Kudos to Kim Cattrell’s plastic surgeon/the soft focus camera operator.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize How I Met Your Father had gone into production, much less started streaming. I don't have Hulu, so I guess I won't be watching. It isn't the same creators, which is both a good thing and a bad one. It is bad because they created a very entertaining show. It is good because I don't know that I would ever want to invest in a show they created again after what they did in the HIMYM finale.

sgreenwell, I may not hate it as much as Schiezainc, but I really did hate that ending. I stuck with the show to the end, well after my wife had bailed on it, and most of the final season was a reward. The thing is, it was getting to know the mother that made the season work, which made the ending even shittier.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's still shocking to me that they absolutely nailed the hardest part of the equation - Milioti is a delight, and fits in with the gang pretty well. It's not surprising in hindsight, because Palm Springs is basically a two-person movie carried by her and Samberg, but at the time she mostly had guest starring roles and bit parts in movies. Why they felt compelled to go back to a Ted-Robin thing, when it seemed like fans wanted no part of that... No clue.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. They built up such expectations for the mother and she met them. They did so many things so well throughout the series, yet they didn't have the sense to end the damn series on that train platform.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted