1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That was pretty damn good.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No West Coast spoilers!

Kidding, of course. I'll be back tomorrow morning. But now you've raised my hopes.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I thought it was pretty boring. Not a single laugh.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I enjoyed both episodes tonight but liked the first one a lot more. Good start to the season.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Great start to the season!
    I like how they rewound and FF, especially at the end. Although didn't they sort of "blow their load" putting Ted with the mom that quick? Still, I enjoyed it.
    The guest stars (the black woman with Marshall and the front desk guy) were pretty good.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Wayne Brady singing as both the man and the woman had me cracking up. Please make him a semi-regular this season. please please please please....

I like how we're apparently going to get some Ted/Mother time, because that had worried me. And from the brief glance that we got, they've got chemistry. I think the thing they're going to do to make her stand out from "Cool Girl" Robin is her quirky nature -- just like Ted.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wayne Brady had me rolling tonight. His first part was freaking hilarious.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I like her, but I think she looks like a brunette Lilly in some aspects....even their voice was sort of the same.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sherri Shepherd and Roger Bart were pretty good. Like how they will flash forward so the audience will see how Ted and the mother interact. Is Marshall not going to be in any scenes with the rest of the cast until the end? Weird.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You guys, I really liked The Mother. And I really liked those episodes. The first definitely was better for the comedy, though I enjoyed Marshall and Daphne fighting it out for the trip to New York and think that could be a fun tag-along plot for the next handful of episodes. But the second brought out a lot of great emotion. And I still love Barney and Robin as a couple. And The Mother makes more sense for Ted.

I'm thrilled about this opening Monday, perhaps more for the potential than for the standalone episodes.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've watched this show once. I remember very little about it, other than it sucked.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't like the episodes as much as Versatile did, but I enjoyed them even though I didn't care for some of the humor. I know some liked the guy at the guy at the hotel desk, but I thought that bit got old really fast.

That said, I think they took a very good first step in the toughest job they have this season. They have to sell the mother as the right woman for Ted, not his second choice after Robin. They aren't going to do that by making her prettier or sexier. They have to do it by showing what a good fit they are, and last night's episodes went a long way in that direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted