1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How have your musical tastes changed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, May 1, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I was going to start this thread earlier, but didn't. Now that we have all these music threads, what the hell, why not?

The question is: how, as you've grown older, have your musical tastes changed?

For example, I was listening to Bob Dylan's Desire album today, the one with Hurricane and Isis on it. When I first bought it a few years ago in my early 20s, the only two songs I really enjoyed were Hurricane and Isis, the two I knew, the two everyone knew. But today, the rest of the album was far more enjoyable. Ten years ago, I would never have considered listening to Dylan at all. I've definitely noticed that the older I've gotten, the more I enjoy mellower, more meaningful music.

Then again, I've really gotten into Social Distortion and Dropkick Murphy's over the past year or so, which are the both the complete opposite of mellow.

I've also been listening to Pearl Jam and Nirvana since 1991 when I was 10. That hasn't changed. If anything I listen to them more, especially Pearl Jam, which has become my favorite band over the last four years or so. My friends from back then had stopped listening to that kind of music by the time we got to high school.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd say my tastes have changed, or maybe evolved and expanded. I listen to Pearl Jam more than anyone else, but I'm a bigger Stones fan than I was 10 years ago. Same goes for Metallica.

I never listened to jazz in my early 20s, which probably isn't uncommon, but now I'm an enormous Coltrane fan.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

My Musical Evolution (just chose one band for the era):

Dr. Dre
    Tupac
    Nirvana
    Metallica
    Pink Floyd
    Eminem
    Stain'd
    Linkin Park
    Pearl Jam
    Kanye West
    Jay-Z

Now I'm at the point where I like everything except country (save for Johnny Cash, and the classics).

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I listened to a fair amount of rap/hip-hop 10-15 years ago, but I don't listen to any now. It wasn't a conscious choice -- I just lost interest in it when all of Eminem's songs started sounding the same.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I have brothers who are 11, 14, 17 and 20 years older than me, so I was listening to 60s and 70s music (Doors, Zeppelin, Cream, Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Rush, ZZ Top, etc.) while I was growing up in the 80s (and listening to that music as well). Then, about five yers ago I took a trip to Nashville and really got into traditional country. That eventually led me to Gram Parsons, Sweetheart of the Rodeo-era Byrds and Uncle Tupelo, all of which opened up a bunch of doors to other bands I really enjoy, like singer-songwriters Walt Wilkins an Kasey Chambers. At this point, unless it's hip-hop (or KISS), I'll get into it. I'll be hanging out at home listening to my ITunes collection and it'll shuffle from Hank Williams to Slipknot or Metallica to Wilco at any given time. I just bought a Dropkick Murphy's CD the other day. I've really enjoyed it (although I often can't tell what the hell they're saying). I've been meaning to explore some jazz recordings, but I haven't as of yet.

I've never been a big Dylan fan, but I was trying to get some sleep late one night camping the other day and the crew next to us was blasting "Hurricane." What a great fucking song. That experience will eventually lead me to pick up a Dylan album or two.

6. Clever username

Pallister, start with Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks. I actually like Blood on the Tracks better. It's simpler yet incredibly powerful if you really allow yourself to absorb it.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

It's gonna be weird listening to all those songs I have on other people's CDs. Seems like Dylan has written ever song ever sung.

8. Clever username

Few have done them better. All Along the Watchtower is a rare example.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought The Animals did a much better job with House of the Rising Sun than Dylan.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

The Byrds played Dylan very well, but I'm guessing you probably don't own "Sweetheart of the Rodeo."

11. Clever username

That's an old folk song, though. I think Pallister meant songs Dylan originally wrote and others covered.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I did. But don't let me limit the discussion. I love that there are multiple music threads live right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted