1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how hard is it to quit social media?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seems like it should be the opposite. In high school and college you actually see other humans socially, in the flesh.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite. I say stuff here that I wouldn't in public. I push the envelope. In real life, I am a much more decent person.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

This is my "thinking aloud" place, my safe space if you will. I can work through some ideas here, flip them over and around, test them out, have the challenged. See if they stand up.

Posters like oop say I'm a "troll." But that's really what it is.

jr/shotglass and Vombatus like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wait, isn't that what I said? I am more genuine here and say stuff I wouldn't in public.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sorry, my reading comprehension at 7 AM, without any caffeine, fasting for a blood draw, and with a severe migraine headache, was extremely lacking this morning.

I was impaired more than my usual around here.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And baby, that's some impairment!

(See, me too. I'd never say that out loud.)

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I tried deactivating my Facebook when the last Star Wars movie came out.

That lasted for one minute.

I haven't been on Twitter as much lately (except through Instagram, which I can't get enough of). I've even tried playing around a little bit with Snapchat. I'm 43.

I went on sort of a mini-purge the day after the inauguration and unfollowed one or two people I consider(ed) close friends so their political posts wouldn't piss me off.

I guess I've just been more into social media than other people I know.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm not on SnapChat. Doubt I will be.

YouTube is the greatest invention since the remote control.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I used to have to be on YouTube regularly to find humorous sports-related videos to post to a website. Ever since that gig dried up -- like six years ago -- I don't think I've been on YouTube more than a half dozen times in total, and always to listen to a song I'm itching to hear.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My wife's brother (who isn't the brother-in-law referenced in my earlier post) and his wife are the poster children for that persona. Their Facebook page is nothing more than a lengthy compilation of selfies -- at a church outing, at Florida Gators football games, on vacation in New York, and on and on and on.

The next selfie I take will be my first, and I'd hope that someone would put me out of my misery shortly thereafter.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm with you. My sister, who I love with all my heart, and my BIL do that all the time and when I see them taking photos of the food before we eat? I can only shake my head mentally. Although I admit taking selfies with my family just to preserve memories of us together. A true selfie? Not for me.

12. Dick Whitman

I use FB to organize photos by season - folder for summer '16, for fall '16, etc. It probably looks like I'm fishing for likes, but it's just convenient.

A couple summers ago we were at the beach. A group of three or four teen-age girls were nearby. They spent the entire two hours or so setting up various group selfie poses. I don't want to be a get off my lawner, but it seemed excessive.

Draft saved Draft deleted