1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Good Was Pete Rose, really?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pete Rose wishes in his wildest dreams he had a peak like Boggs did.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Position players only, off the top of my head, Mizzou: Mays, Aaron, Clemente (all still dominant in 60s, Mantle no), Rose, Morgan, Bench, Schmidt, R. Jackson, Ripken, Brett, R. Henderson, Winfield, and now I'm starting to have to think too hard. Sure I forgot some worthy names. If you include pitchers, obviously some of these guys are out, because the 60s and 70s were dominated by pitchers.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

off the top of my head: Mantle, Brett, Henderson, Schmidt, Carlton, Seaver, Frank Robinson, Bench, Aaron, Mays, Murray, Koufax, Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Winfield.

No way is Ripken better than Rose.

4. RickStain

Ripken's 1991 was better than any season Rose ever had.

A lot of this is going to come down to how much you value longevity vs. peak, but Rose's peak is going to compare poorly to almost anyone in these discussions.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pete Rose had a baseball IQ that was off the charts. He was a selfish player but he made others around him better. He competed. He did whatever had to be done to win a game. No, he wasn't the greatest player. He did amass the most hits but that was the result of longevity and productivity.
    He should be in the Hall. He once thought he was bigger than the game and that was his biggest mistake.

6. Mizzougrad96

Beyond the stats, Rose just made teams better.

7. RickStain

The teams he was on didn't really need him to make them better.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jim Rice because he was feared. :D

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

You're wrong. Pete took the Phillies to the 80 championship. He showed them how to win. Hell, he saved Bob Boone's ass in the ninth by catching a pop up that Boone should've caught.

10. Mizzougrad96

You could say that about any single player on the Big Red Machine. I agree that Philly doesn't win in 1980 without him.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't say that. Like it or not, Rose was a leader. On those Reds teams, there were great players, but he was the leader.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He taught them how to win? Is there a degree in that. What a load of shit. Intagibles, intagibles old cliched crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted