1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How fat is your state?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I love puppies!, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Mississippi is No. 1!!!!!

A ranking of the fattest states has Miss. No. 1 and Colo. as the fittest state.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-sci-obesity28aug28,1,1925074.story?coll=la-news-a_section

This is the most unbelievably sad part of the whole story:

Just 15 years ago, no state was above 15%!!! That's amazing.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My state is not fat! It's just stocky.

3. We're big-boned

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never liked those waifer-thin, anorexic states anyway. I like a state with a little meat on its bones.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

No fair! People in Minnesota have to shovel snow 300 days out of the year. Us southerners pass the time by sipping mint juleps on the porch.

6. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Strikes me as kinda counterintuitive how the most obese states are always southern states and the most fit usually northern. Seems like warmer weather would mean being active outside more, sweating more, losing weight more -- but that's obviously not how it works. Must be a cultural thing.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Like Moon Pies and RC Colers?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Rural Southern poverty = bad food = little motivation = obesity

I see where Alabama is ranked third. A year ago the state tourism department had a big push about "The Year of Food."

Nice. Maybe soon they will have "The Year of Fat Asses and Heart Disease."

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We're No. 9!

And damn right there's something to be said for shoveling snow as a workout.

10. KG

KG Active Member

My state is surrounded by the top ones. I'm surprised it's not in it too.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Clearly a Northeast bias in whoever put this shoddy report together.

Vermont, Connecticut and Rhode Island in the top 5. Does anyone even live in those states?

And the per usual shots at the south in Mississippi, Bama and Louisiana.

If you conduct a detailed analysis of the data, I'm certain this northern bias would surface.

Now, pass the fried chicken.

12. The food doesn't help. Southerners love friend food, and they love making a big deal out of food. You can't cover an event out here without there being an elaborate spread.

Plus, much of what they serve in the South is delicious. So it's not surprising that so many people in the South have weight problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted