1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How fast can you change a tire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 13, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Took me about 15 minutes last time I had to do it, but that was in my driveway. Haven't had to change a tire on the side of the road in probably 20 years.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Showoff? Nah. I suck at it.

Most of the guys I ride with can blow a tire and be back on the road in 5 minutes or less.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Quick-change tires on a bike don't count. :D

(Then again, I could work the front tire in 10 seconds on my bike if it weren't for having to re-calibrate the front brake every time I pull the wheel off. :-\)

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You just need to upgrade your components to 105 or better, IIRC. They come with a little lever that slides the brakes just wide enough to get the tire out without any struggle.

I don't have quick change tires, apparently, because I'm pretty pathetic at being quick.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I should probably consider it, but I can avoid the whole headache by not loading the bike into my vehicle. It's a sports coupe, and the bike will fit if I fold the (excuse for a) backseat down (installed mainly to avoid sports-car tariffs) and remove the front tire.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

I change fat tires about six or seven times a night, hiccup ...

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We really miss you, Old Man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm sure the auto clubs are awesome, but I can change a tire and I'd much rather get my fingers dirty than have to wait 30 minutes for Larry to show up and do something any normal functioning adult should be able to do. When I'm driving somewhere, I want to get there, not wait.

But knowing my wife calls me for help anytime she gets a flat, I think I might invest in AAA or something like that for her. For now, though, I'll just go save her everytime she locks her keys in the car.

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

First, there is almost nothing quick about changing a bike tire, especially if you ride a road model with touring tires (like Specialized Armadillo, and only Idaho will get that, likely). Bitches have the stiffest bead I've ever come across.

Second, this thread got me thinking about practical skills older people have that younger people might not - generally. Things that we just feel we don't have to learn anymore. Like how to stop a running toilet without calling the plumber, repair a lawn mower, churn butter. Kidding about the last one, but that could be its own thread.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have AAA, but I've only used them when I've needed a tow. Really, changing a tire is not that big a deal.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Road bike tires are a beeeatch. It sucks feeling helpless 20 miles from nowhere when you flat a tire, open up the seatbag and realize you didn't replace the tire lever you broke the last time you used it.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i carry a floor jack in both my vehicles, so it's really not fair to compare.

Draft saved Draft deleted