1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How fast can you change a tire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 13, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have the Cingular roadside assistance thing. Works just as well.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

The local Co-op service station funds its annual Christmas party solely from the business I give them for repairing my flat tires. I could change one in my sleep if I have to, and often have.

And Inky, damned good idea about the coveralls. I do too, and in winter they are of the insulated variety. I also carry a brick in the bed of my pickup a) because I can, and 2) it makes a good platform for the jack when the ground is a bit unstable.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No Canuckistan Cingular. :)

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Had one in August 2006. Actually had my wife time me.

12:21.

Wrote it down and put it in the glove compartment in case I get the chance to try and top it someday.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

1. Dial AAA
    2. Wait by side of road
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That's pretty decent. I can do it in about 10 with a shitty trunk jack, but I used to work at a gas station/service center.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I got pretty good at it back in the fall of 2002.
    Drove an 85 Dodge Diplomat (paid $200 for it, so what the heck) and I had five regular-sized tires that I would have to rotate often because at any given time one of them would start to bubble on the side a bit. Since I wasn't about to pay more for a set of tires than I did for the whole car, I simply kept rotating them around, always having a solid option in the trunk.
    I had to change 'em on several occasions heading to high school football games -- and sometimes heading back to the office to write afterward. On average, I'd say I did it at least once every other week.
    No shit here, I could do it in less than 3 minutes from trunk popping to dropping the changed tire back in.

8. Into what?
    Thank you.
    You're too kind.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Try the veal.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Between colleges, I managed a small Exxon station (no garage) next to a car wash in a commercial stretch off a four-lane road. I kept a small hydraulic jack with wheels in the register shack because people would pull up with flats all the time. No charge, just tips.

How fast? It's not a fair comparison because you can change a flat in five minutes easy with a hydraulic jack and a good lug wrench at your fingertips. It's getting the jack in and out of the car and figuring out how to put it together that takes all the time.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

15-20 minutes if I have a spare tube and a CO2 cartridge handy. If I have to use the hand pump it takes an extra 10 minutes to get the PSI up to 100.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

F-in showoff

Draft saved Draft deleted